Switch focus from Self Service

Gus_Fernandez
New Contributor

I have a workflow to rebuild a Mac that is working pretty well for our purposes, and I'm not really looking to change it.  The workflow is initiated via Self Service, and it starts with a simple "softwareupdate" command that downloads the installer and then does an eraseinstall.  My issue is that since Sonoma, after clicking Install (or Reinstall) in Self Service, and the workflow starts, but it gives the appearance of stopping.  The blue spinning circle stops and the button goes back to Reinstall, even though the workflow continues.  It has caused some confusion if there is more than one hand in the pot.

Is there a way to shift the focus off Self Service and bring forward the Apple Software Update window, or a terminal window that shows the progress of the download so the users know there is activity going on?

Thanks,

Gus

3 REPLIES 3

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

Check out Graham Pugh's erase-install. It provides a nice visual status of what is happening during the process. https://github.com/grahampugh/erase-install

Thanks Howie!  I'll go check it out.

ellen05898
New Contributor

@Gus_Fernandez wrote:

I have a workflow to rebuild a Mac that is working pretty well for our purposes, and I'm not really looking to change it.  The workflow is initiated via Self Service, and it starts with a simple "softwareupdate" command that downloads the installer and then does an eraseinstall.  My issue is that since Sonoma, after clicking Install (or Reinstall) in Self Service, and the workflow starts, but it gives the appearance of stopping.  The blue spinning circle stops and the button goes back to Reinstall, even though the workflow continues.  It has caused some confusion if there is more than one hand in the pot.

Is there a way to shift the focus off Self Service and bring forward the Apple Software Update window, or a terminal window that shows the progress of the download so the users know there is activity going on?

Thanks,

Gus

Hello,
It 
sounds like the issue floridablue might be related to how Self Service handles the workflow in macOS Sonoma. One possible solution is to use script that runs in the background and provides visual indicator of progress. You can create script that runs the softwareupdate command and then opens terminal window to show the download progress. This way, users can see that the process is ongoing even if the Self-Service button appears inactive.

Best Regards,
Ellen Hogan