Systems becoming unmanaged during check in. What would cause this?

jeffpugh
New Contributor III

What would cause all systems to switch to unmanaged at check-in? APNS Certificate has been renewed, all other certificates look good from what I can tell and nothing else has changed. I desperately need help as right now my JSS is off until I can resolve this to prevent further damage. Any help is appreciated

3 REPLIES 3

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Is something deleting the management account on your Macs? Or are you using an account for management that doesn't exist on them? I assume its not the latter since you mentioned they're checking in at least once. I also don't know for sure if on check in, if the local account for management is getting removed that it would cause them to go into an "un-managed" state, but perhaps.

Do you have physical access to any of these Macs? or SSH? If so, get in and check the jamf.log to see what the last check-in ran as far as policies. It might point you in the right direction.

jeffpugh
New Contributor III

So yesterday afternoon around 4pm I just started receiving emails that users were being removed from the managed group. 22 emails later I unplugged the JSS. Nothing has changed in our setup. Thats why I'm thinking something expired but don't see anything.... I have access to some of these systems so I will check the logs

jeffpugh
New Contributor III

I also checked the jamf.log file and nothing happened from the client side. Just business as usual.

Log for 16:43 yesterday for one of the systems that became unmanaged.

Tue Jul 15 16:43:18 MacBook Pro - jamf[8779]: Checking for policies triggered by "recurring check-in"...

Received notification at 16:43 that a system was removed from All Managed Clients