Target Mode Imaging issues, Yosemite.

bthomason
New Contributor II

Is anyone having issues with Target Mode Imaging? It's just hanging on installing my DMG AUTODMG Image. I have restored the DMG with Disk Utility and it works fine there.

9 REPLIES 9

MarinMoore
New Contributor

Yes I am having this issue as well! I let it continue working and after about an hour it finished.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Is it hanging from a 10.10.2 OS via Casper Imaging?

bthomason
New Contributor II

@bentoms Yes it doesn't work in Target Imaging, with a 10.10.2 source. I also can't target imagine my 10.9 images with it anymore either. I am trying to revert back to 10.10.1, but I think I had the same issue.

bentoms

@bthomason, someone posted that there is a known defect with Casper Imaging on 10.10.2.

10.10.1 will work, & it should be fixed in 9.64.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

i am using 9.51 and target mode imaging a X.X.2 is not working along with X.9. Takes about an hour to install X.2 and a couple packages, after it finishes i remove the firewire cable and restart the mbpro, the apple logo appears with the progress bar that basically sits at the halfway point.

going to AX target mode imaging for now.

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

If you are Target Mode imaging from 10.10.2, there's a bug in Casper Imaging where it mis-detects the OS version number and reverts to using a file-by-file copy which may be unbeatable. If your Base OS is created by AutoDMG and it has the Recovery partition embedded in the DMG, it will fail to copy Recovery to the volume you are imaging.

Best to image from 10.10.1 or earlier until Casper Imaging 9.64 is out.

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Also seems to have an issue block-copying a 10.10.2 base OS when booted from 10.9.5.

Bottom line, Casper Imaging and 10.10.2 = no-go until Casper Suite 9.64 is released. Le sigh.

bentoms

@tcandela, I don't think 10.10.x was supported by the JSS until 9.6x.

If you're using casper imaging 9.51 to deploy 10.10.x that could be part of the issue.

So might be worth updating a dev JSS to see if the issue persists.

FWIW, we can install 10.10.2 OS.dmg's via Casper Imaging 9.6x from a 10.10.0 or .1 NBI. Just not from a 10.10.2 one.

MarcosMunoz
New Contributor III

My 10.10.1 image seems to have been affected by this as well. I've rebuilt it with AutoDMG and I am still not able to use it with Casper Imaging. *Sigh* I hope this gets fixed quickly. Have to restore to old-school fat images and good old Disk Utility's restore function.