Target specific computers with SUS?

brandonpturner
New Contributor

Is it possible to target specific domain computers with the SUS?

I currently have a Mac Mini running Software Updates. I have pushed a policy to all of the Macs, directing them to this Mac Mini for software updates. I've found (if i recall correctly), but if I remove the SUS, that plist will default to Apple.

Basically, my manager wants to test software updates on a couple of machines before pushing them out to everyone. Do any of you have a best practice for this? I don't want to keep updating plist files.

5 REPLIES 5

perrycj
Contributor III

Configuration profiles would be your best bet. Scope them to a test group or whomever first and everyone else could just get a dummy SUS URL from a 2nd configuration profile. Depending on your network, the config profiles update pretty fast so pulling the dummy URL at a later date wouldn't be that hard.

denmoff
Contributor III

Reposado with Margarita is good for doing this. I have three separate catalogs, one for testing, one for fac/staff, and one for my labs. I use MCX/Profile to direct the clients to the appropriate catalog. Using this method, you can delay updates for your users for as long as you want.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Second looking at either Reposado or the JAMF NetBoot/SUS appliance: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/viewProduct.html?id=180&view=info (which uses Reposado) These let you create specific SUS branches and point Macs by groups in Casper to those specific branches with a policy, MCX, config profile, your choice.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@brandonpturner, point all clients to you internal SUS.

Create a policy for those that you want to test updates on, & add the following as a script before:

sudo jamf removeSWUSettings

then tick install all updates.

Enable that policy when you want to test updates on those macs.

brandonpturner
New Contributor

@bentoms answer looks the cleanest. I'd like to avoid more third party apps and plugins. I'll give it a shot. Thank you all!