The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -1100.)

michaelherrick
New Contributor III

Hi everyone,

I recently updated a Mac Pro from 10.6.8 to 10.9.2 through Self Service. The user tried to run Apple Remote Desktop and received a message to update ARD in order to use it. Running software update generated the error

The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -1100.)

The same message occurs when I run softwareupdate from the command line. I tried removing our internal SUS settings as per the instructions in http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4069 , same error. Some googling suggests this error can be caused by Avast , which we don't use, but I uninstalled McAfee Security anyway. Still receive the same error. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Mike

12 REPLIES 12

lisacherie
Contributor II

Are you using an internal SUS or receiving updates from Apple?

What is the CatalogURL?

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

Lisa is right have a look at the plist in /Library/Preferences/ and make sure it's correct. I had this on the past and did my head in for a while :(

michaelherrick
New Contributor III

Lisa- I had previously been using an internal SUS but I had reset the Mac to use Apple's servers.

lisacherie
Contributor II

Are you able to see the catalogue in a web browser?

Do you mind sharing the current value of CatalogURL (you can do a defaults read of com.apple.SoftwareUpdate)

michaelherrick
New Contributor III

When i read the CatalogURL, i get the response:

The domain/default pair of (/library/preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate, CatalogURL) does not exist

When I try to access the sucatalog in a web browser, it gives me a 404.

lisacherie
Contributor II

Try this:

sudo defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL

michaelherrick
New Contributor III

I still receive the same response

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Do you have an internal SUS? Is it running 10.9?

Also, if you run the below it should revert the mac to apples sus's:

sudo JAMF removeSWUsettings

michaelherrick
New Contributor III

Do you have an internal SUS? Is it running 10.9?

Yes

Also, if you run the below it should revert the mac to apples sus's:

Just tried this, still recieve the NSURLErrorDomain error

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Hmmm.. Any proxies in place? Does the macs network settings look ok?

franton
Valued Contributor III

Ahh this old chestnut.

I used to get this a lot on our depreciated OS X SUS. It turned out that if a computer didn't need updates, it would return that exact error. If an update was available, then it would work ok. I used to reset the OS X SUS on a regular basis: it would work for a while and start doing this over and over.

My solution was to rip the entire thing out and replace it with a reposado / margarita combo server. Worked like a dream since then.

michaelherrick
New Contributor III

The weird thing about that though, is that the Mac DID actually have a new update available (ARD 3.7.2) when it first encountered the error.

I suspect that something went weird during the upgrade from 10.6 to 10.9, as i have many other Mac clients still on 10.8.5 that use our SUS and don't have issues.