Trying to access JSS mobile

jared_ehrke
New Contributor

Hi!
I am trying to access the JSS mobile to do inventory work through Casper on my iPhone. For the JSS Address I am typing in our Casper website that we access on our computers and it's not liking it. I assume I need to be typing something else to connect my phone to the JSS? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
~Jared

9 REPLIES 9

JAbsinthe
New Contributor

What screen is showing up after you type in your address?

jared_ehrke
New Contributor

I tried to paste a screen shot on here ....but no dice. It says: "JSS Mobile Has Received An Error."
JSS Mobile received an unexpected response from "casper.lex.esu10.org". <--(our site)
Please verify that the address and settings are correct. Also verify that the API is enabled and "jared.ehrke" <--(my user name) has permissions to view "http://casper.lex.esu10.org;9006/JSSResource/jssuser"

jared_ehrke
New Contributor

Just an FYi for the JAMF people too. There are a couple small typos on this error that I'm getting. Not a big deal but you might want to check it out. :)

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

The JSS Mobil app is kind of dead/unsupported. The new JSS (9.0) has a much better, mobile aware page designed to be run from mobile browser (designed for mobil safari). I would recommend simply browsing to your JSS via whatever mobil web browser you prefer until 9 goes live. The policies section of the JSS mobil app never ever seemed to do anything but crash on me so I gave up on it quite some time ago. There have been no updates since.

drew_duggan
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hey Jared,

Just looking at the error message you're getting there (which might be one of the typos you mention), it's showing as ";9006" instead of ":9006". As Chris mentioned, the actual JSS mobile app once available isn't supported anymore, but one of the features Zach talked about at the JNUC is the added functionality of the JSS on iOS devices. Something that we've recommended to people looking to use a mobile version of the JSS is to just create a simple web clip via the JSS (if you're using it for iOS management) or just through the iPhone Configuration Utility that has a link to your JSS. Hope that helps!

- Drew

jared_ehrke
New Contributor

Hey thank you both! Chris, I will anxiously await 9's launch.

Drew,
I'm not quite tracking with you ...can you expound on the iPhone Configuration Utility? Right now the only pieces of the JSS I use regularly are Casper and Recon. If I try to open those up with Safari it just opens the normal web interface. What am I missing to start using the mobile-friendly interface? Is that just the version 9 that Chris mentioned?

~Jared

jared_ehrke
New Contributor

Drew,
I'm not quite tracking with you ...can you expound on the iPhone Configuration Utility? Right now the only pieces of the JSS I use regularly are Casper and Recon. If I try to open those up with Safari it just opens the normal web interface. What am I missing to start using the mobile-friendly interface? Is that just the version 9 that Chris mentioned?

~Jared

jared_ehrke
New Contributor

Drew,

~Jared

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

No you've got the gist of it. The v9 interface has been totally changed. Go see the v9 demo and you'll understand. Here's the link: http://www.jamfsoftware.com/news/2012/12/20/jnuc-2012-session-videos/