Two Macs Fighting for the Same JSS Computer ID

robb1068
Contributor

I have two MacBook Airs that are duking it out for the same JSS computer ID. The first laptop was enrolled a few months ago, while the other one is brand new. When the new laptop is enrolled, it grabs the JSS ID from the older laptop. If I enroll the older laptop, it grabs the JSS ID back.

I've deleted the laptop from inventory and one can be re-enrolled with a new JSS ID, but when the other laptop is enrolled, it takes the new ID from the other laptop.

How do I force the second laptop to create a new unique JSS ID?

2 REPLIES 2

thisisdave
New Contributor

You've imaged them both with the same USB Ethernet adapter. You must add that Ethernet adapter to the Removable MAC Addresses portion of the JSS under Settings > Inventory Options .

robb1068
Contributor

Hi Dave... I ran into that issue a few months ago and tried to be clever this time around by imaging the new MBA over wireless. The older MBA had indeed been imaged with a USB Ethernet adapter, but I haven't used it with the new one.

Both MBAs have their own BookEndz docking station, so I looked up the older laptop in Inventory to see what MAC address it was reporting and discovered the address was (null). I cleared the (null) entry so the MAC address was now blank and re-enrolled the new laptop. This time it was assigned a new JSS ID (and it was also reporting a MAC address of (null) which I cleared and manually entered).