Ubuntu JSS Setup help

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Hi all-

I went through the White Paper JAMF has on setting up a JSS on alternative platforms (Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Server in my case) and have hit a snag in the form of the attached screen shot.

It looks like the jamfsoftware.sql setup script ran ok as the jamfsoftware database was created and the user jamfsoftware was placed in the mysql.user table. In the mysql config file it's accepting network connections on the right port. Not sure where to poke.

Ideas?

Thanks

j
--
Jared F. Nichols
Desktop Engineer, Client Services
Information Services Department
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
244 Wood Street
Lexington, Massachusetts 02420

![external image link](attachments/23783ce65b8f438193997d432b5c3300)

2 REPLIES 2

endor-moon
Contributor II

Hi Jared,

I've been banging my head against the wall trying to get CentOS to work and just this morning tried Ubuntu 14.04 LTS for the first time. Got it working in under an hour, I am pleased to report. I was running the JSS on a Mac Mini server and was migrating to Intel iron in our data centre. I didn't want to run Windows or Red Hat Enterprise Linux so I tried CentOS and eventually ended up on Ubuntu.

I did a database dump backup from MySQL and a restore on the new server. Here are the commands I used to get the server running. FYI, during the guided GUI install process, I installed Tomcat 7 but later had to uninstall it to get the JAMF JSS installer to work, and that is reflected below.

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install mysql-server-5.6

...at this point I ran mysql as root and created the empty jamfsoftware database with these commands inside mysql:

CREATE DATABASE jamfsoftware;

GRANT ALL ON jamfsoftware.* TO 'jamfsoftware'@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'jamfsw03';

This next command restored my JSS database from backup after prompting for the mysql root password:

mysql -u root -p jamfsoftware < 2014-04-09_13-36-37.sql

...next I had to remove Tomcat because it was running and the JSS installer didn't like it and could not shut it off:

sudo apt-get remove tomcat7

...here I unzip the installer, found the unzip command wasn't present, installed it and continued. I downloaded the installer via FTP to the /tmp directory, by the way.

unzip JSSInstallerLinux9.32.zip
sudo apt-get install unzip
unzip JSSInstallerLinux9.32.zip

cd /tmp/JSSInstallerLinux/
cd JSS Installation/
ls

...and this is the installer command:

sudo ./jssinstaller.run

...then I had to restart tomcat7:

cd /usr/share/tomcat7
ls
cd bin
ls
./shutdown.sh ./startup.sh

...and when I connected to the server with https://servername:8443 it worked.

I hope some of this helps. One thing you might try is removing mysql and installing it again.

endor-moon

endor-moon
Contributor II

Actually, I think I'm going to try CentOS again as I am having DNS issues with Ubuntu.