Unable to download and/or install in house iOS app via Self Service

lindabarba
New Contributor

Hello all,
I am trying to distribute an in-house app for the first time. The app uploads to the JSS Mobile Device App Catalog just fine and appears in Self-Service but will not install. An error, 'Unable to Download Application - app could not be installed at this time' error appears on the iPad. The app install shows up as 'Pending' in JSS inventory. I've looked at the system log via Console on the JSS and found nothing. Is there another log I'm unaware of or another spot within JSS to get some more specific log data? I suspect the issue is with the app itself but I'd love to give the developer some useful feedback.
We're using JSS Version 8.63 on OS X 10.8.2 with 3rd Gen iPads on iOS 6.1.3 & 7.0.2.
Thanks,
Linda

5 REPLIES 5

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Does it do this with iOS 6 devices as well?

Have you tried another app, a free one?

LarryH
New Contributor III

Hey Lindabarba did you get this working? I just ran into the same issue.

sboutot
New Contributor II

Having it here as well

nsdjoe
Contributor II

I have better luck with posting in-house apps to a web server and linking to it from the JSS rather than uploading the app into the JSS. When I was first testing in-house apps in the JSS back in 2012 I would get a lot of errors. I have had 100% success when posting to a web server.

~Joe

floatingorchard
New Contributor II

Take a look at the max_allowed_packet variable on your MySQL server. The JSS will currently not give feedback if the .ipa file fails to upload, so the iOS devices are probably told to download a corrupt or empty file. Here's what it looks like in the JAMFSoftwareServer.log when you create a new in-house app record and the .ipa bundle exceeds the max_allowed_packet size:

Error inserting IPA file
com.mysql.jdbc.PacketTooBigException: Packet for query is too large. You can change this value on the server by setting the max_allowed_packet' variable.

This may be a quick fix for solving the "Unable to Download Application" error on iOS devices when distributing in-house apps.