Unable to iPhone to iPhone data transfer

CesarT_T
New Contributor III

I have been stuck on this for the longest time. I am unable to do an iPhone to iPhone migration. The new device is enrolled in DEP/ABM and my current phone is not. 

The setup assistant shows up, I take my old phone and scan the blue globe. At this point I only get the option to do iCloud backup/restore to the new device. I no longer get an option to go device to device. 

Has anyone else experienced this issue before? 

Apple support is stating that it could be an issue with DEP/Jamf not allowing the Device to Device option. If I remove the device from Jamf/DEP, that would essentially throw away the reason to even have these devices in jamf or pre-stage. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 10.55.38 AM.png

As the screenshot shows, I am not blocking any of the Setup Assistant steps or auto advancing. 

What I did is I went into Apple Business manager and removed the new phone from hitting any MDM server. I wiped the device and attempted the Setup Assistant with my old iPhone next to it and that gives me the option to migrate device to device. 

Any thoughts about how to go about this? Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FedericoC
New Contributor

Hi all,

I have the same issue.

I followed the second option, but with the Enrollment Invitations I have less option as compared to other our devices, and the profiles can be removed by the user.

There is a way to resolve the configuration?

Thanks1.png2.png3.png4.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

gmillercmsd12
New Contributor

Did you find a solution to this issue? We are having the same problem.

Yes, 

So Apple made a change to the Data Transfer ability back on iOS 13. This placed a limit on how data can be transferred. the reasoning behind this was because if a currently owned device that is enrolled in an MDM was allowed to transfer data to a device that was/is in ABM/DEP and tied to a MDM service; it would brick the new device. 

In order to get the Phone to Phone transfer option back, it would require the device to not check into an MDM server. The device can still remain in ABM/DEP. However, within the Jamf Pro Pre-Stage, it will need to be unchecked first before having the new phone check into the Apple Activation servers. 

The workaround: 
**There are two options that we have come up with here. Each is dependent on a per user case. **

1. have the end user do a completely iCloud backup of their current device. Have the user restore the recent backup when they sign into the new device. This will NOT pull all the config profiles that the current (old) device has. it will apply new config profiles. 

• This is tricky as with some of our users, have over 100GB in an iCloud backup of their phone and can take a very long time to restore through iCloud. 

2. We run into some users that say they have more than the allotted 5GB of free iCloud storage. and they will be unable to do an iCloud restore to the new device. 

• The Workaround here is to go into JAMF Pro and removing the new device from Pre-Stage Enrollment. 
    • Once removed, have the user wait 5 mins or so and then power on the phone, go through the setup assistant and it prompt to do a Phone to Phone migration. Once the migration is completed, the device will have to be manually enrolled into Jamf Pro. 
  • Option 2 is the better option for those users that have well over 30GB of backup/restore to do. 

** Please note, when doing an iCloud restore, once all their applications install, Jamf will not check in just yet. We found if you open the settings app, there you will see a notice stating something as saying that is still completing the restore and there is still ___GB left. 

**Only when that is completed, Jamf Pro will be able to push down profiles/applications. 

With option two: Does the manual enrollment allow JAMF to remove/change the passcode if needed? Our biggest reason for enrolling phones is so we don't lose control of them when a staff member leaves.

you will have the ability to clear the passcode if/when needed. 

there are other options that will not be available through User Initiated enrollment vs Pre-Stage. 

PreStage:

::Management Commands::
Update Inventory
Lock Device
Clear Passcode
Clear Restrictions Password
Clear Screen Time Passcode
Unmanage Device
Restart Device
Wipe Device
Send Blank Push
Enable Voice Roaming
Disable Voice Roaming
Enable Data Roaming
Disable Data Roaming
Enable Bluetooth
Disable Bluetooth
Set Wallpaper
Enable Lost Mode
Shut Down Device
Set Activation Lock
Enable Personal Hotspot
Disable Personal Hotspot
Refresh Cellular Plans
Renew MDM Profile
Set Time Zone
Update Recommend Software Update Version

User Initiated Enrollment:

::Management Commands::
Update Inventory
Lock Device
Clear Passcode
Unmanage Device
Wipe Device
Send Blank Push
Enable Voice Roaming
Disable Voice Roaming
Enable Data Roaming
Disable Data Roaming
spotEnable Personal Hotspot
Disable Personal Hotspot
Refresh Cellular Plans
Renew MDM Profile

FedericoC
New Contributor

Hi all,

I have the same issue.

I followed the second option, but with the Enrollment Invitations I have less option as compared to other our devices, and the profiles can be removed by the user.

There is a way to resolve the configuration?

Thanks1.png2.png3.png4.png