Unable to modify Require Password after Sleep or ScreenSaver

cwaldrip
Valued Contributor

So, it seems that once we enable the "require password after sleep or screensaver" with a configuration profiler - we can't turn it off.

I've created a different config profile without this. No change. I've removedframeworks, no change. I've checked managed preferences, nothing.

Any suggestions? :-

3 REPLIES 3

apizz
Valued Contributor

We had this issue as well this past weekend for a special trustee event where we were trying to go from requiring a password after 5 minutes to not requiring a password at all.

Tried a new config profile, but didn't work. Tried deploying a script setting the two askForPassword and askForPasswordDelay preferences, but couldn't get it to apply to all users on the machine.

We also restrict user access to the Security & Privacy preference pane.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I can't say for sure if this will work, but try adding the Mac or group of Macs into the scope's Exclusion tab for the Config Profile that's pushing that setting. Whenever we want to remove any settings deployed via config profile, that's what we do - add it to the Exclusions tab. When you click Save, you're asked if you want to deploy to newly assigned machines or all; choose newly assigned and it should remove the setting from the Mac or Macs since they are now excluded from the scope.
If that doesn't work, then it sounds like something around that particular setting is broken with Configuration Profiles. The process outlined above absolutely works for us with other settings. I haven't tried it with the Require password option though so I can't speak to that one directly.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I've worked on this one at a few schools, it didn't seem to matter whether I switched it off using a config profile, MCX, defaults write, as the user or as root. The setting seemed to remain.

I could get the checkbox unticked, but the setting still applied anyway.

In the end we enabled fast user switching to give us the "switch user" button on the lock screen.