Unblock(?) Catalina

uafifi
New Contributor II

We added macOS Catalina to restricted software, a month later I excluded myself from the restriction and I still get the "The requested version of macOS in not available".

Anyone else had this issue or know what could be causing this? How did you resolve this?

Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sichas
Contributor

So Restricted Software got mentioned, but the message "The requested version of macOS is not available" doesn't sound like a Restricted Software thing. (The solution to undoing a legit Restricted Software record, by the way, is to run sudo jamf manage after un-scoping yourself)

To me, that message sounds more like the update is potentially being blocked by the software update catalog itself. Try running this via Terminal on the computer giving you the problem: sudo softwareupdate --ignore

In the returned output, does it list macOS? If so, run sudo softwareupdate --reset-ignored to clear that out. Then give it another shot. You might need to reboot after doing that, but I don't think so.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

try run a sudo jamf recon

uafifi
New Contributor II

@larry_barrett Yeah I did that , restarted machine , ran that again. Im confused why it didn't work

Sichas
Contributor

So Restricted Software got mentioned, but the message "The requested version of macOS is not available" doesn't sound like a Restricted Software thing. (The solution to undoing a legit Restricted Software record, by the way, is to run sudo jamf manage after un-scoping yourself)

To me, that message sounds more like the update is potentially being blocked by the software update catalog itself. Try running this via Terminal on the computer giving you the problem: sudo softwareupdate --ignore

In the returned output, does it list macOS? If so, run sudo softwareupdate --reset-ignored to clear that out. Then give it another shot. You might need to reboot after doing that, but I don't think so.

uafifi
New Contributor II

@iMatthewCM Thank you! The last command worked. Appreciate it

hurup
New Contributor II

Issue: When I go to the App Store to download and install Catalina - I get this error message:
Update not found - The requested version of MacOS is not available

Solution: What worked for me was running this from terminal:
sudo softwareupdate -l --all --force --reset-ignored

After that the update was visible under "System Preferences > Software Update"

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250731853?page=2

rchawla
New Contributor III

Hey all. This step sudo softwareupdate -l --all --force --reset-ignored did not work for me. While I can now download the installer and see it, I'm still prevented from installing and still see our block message. Any ideas?

atomczynski
Valued Contributor

One setting is to block / allow the download using the softwareupdate

I think you have another policy that blocks the application. Take a look at Computers, Restricted Software
In there do you see a policy which disallows the app?

rchawla
New Contributor III

Hi - there is BUT is is scoped to a different smart group. I'm not in both smart groups.

atomczynski
Valued Contributor

In Jamf console pull up the computer device record and confirm the device is not in the smart group for the policy.
Is it possible you have another restricted software policy that is not named correctly, etc?

Rolling_Hak2020
New Contributor

@iMatthewCM, where do I run the program. Im new here if you couldn't tell from my incompetence