Uninstall Adobe Air

moojomoore
New Contributor III

Does anyone have a script or something to remove Adobe Air from our Macs? Our past IT guy installed it on everyone's computer but we have no use for it anymore and I'd like to get rid of it. I haven't been able to find a script anywhere to uninstall Adobe Air.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

moojomoore
New Contributor III

Was able to figure this simple one-liner out...

/Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe AIR Application Installer -uninstall

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

moojomoore
New Contributor III

Was able to figure this simple one-liner out...

/Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe AIR Application Installer -uninstall

rpayne
Contributor II

This worked for you? I get "not enough arguments" even after adding "-silent"

seenuvasanp
New Contributor

Hi All, Does anybody have a script to Adobe Air clean uninstall from a mac?
4e2de0ee07c74bf080b462b32eac2950

stendhal01
New Contributor

I also got the "not enough arguments" error. But looking closer at the Utilities folder, in addition to the Adobe AIR Application Installer.app there's also an Adobe AIR Uninstaller.app. So i tried invoking that with -uninstall tacked on the end:

/Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Uninstaller.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe AIR Installer -uninstall

And that seemed to do the trick. There are possibly other directories/caches left over that I'm missing, but that seemed to remove the main AIR runtime, which is what our corporate security folks want. Test it out and see what you think.

UCSB-Marc
New Contributor II

While the one liner "solved" answer works on most macs, it does not work on the Big Sur computer I just worked on, so be sure to remove air before people update. If you have a Big Sur computer and the above one liner gives errors, you can use terminal to remove Adobe Air piece by piece. (thank you to deditos who had previously listed some of these in another thread)

air components locations (multiple folders/files in all locations so add wildcard if scripting):

/Applications/Adobe/Flash Player/AddIns/airappinstaller
/Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Uninstaller.app
/Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app
/Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework

/Users/Shared/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AIR
$HOME/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AIR

$HOME/Library/Caches/com.adobe.air.
$HOME/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.air.

rstasel
Valued Contributor

So, machines I've tried don't seem to have the Air uninstaller on them, but are returning having /Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework.

Are people just deleting that to uninstall? Flash is dead now too, so I've already uninstalled that.

Little annoyed there's no uninstalled provided by Adobe...

Thanks!

UCSB-Marc
New Contributor II

Depends on the OS. If its Big Sur, even if you download the adobe air uninstaller provided for older OS, it will not work. I ended up scripting based on my above response and I did have to remove that and restart before Jamf shows Adobe Air as completely uninstalled. On a side note, I did remove flash before removing air, the flash uninstaller left junk behind, especially if it was related to other programs, which is why I listed /Applications/Adobe/Flash Player/AddIns/airappinstaller as something to be removed.

rstasel
Valued Contributor

I always worry about doing /Users/*/Library/blah...

So do you have full script you used to do this? And yeah, just annoying there's no good option here.

UCSB-Marc
New Contributor II

I have a partial script, that works on a per account basis. I ended up putting it in /Applications then doing a for loop to launch script for each account. You can probably modify my script using the example from https://superuser.com/questions/832933/remove-rm-command-not-working-with-wildcards-on-mac-os-x

#####
#possible script
#####

#!/bin/bash

rm -rf "/Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Uninstaller.app"
rm -rf "/Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app"
rm -rf "/Applications/Adobe/Flash Player/AddIns"
rm -rf "/Users/Shared/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AIR"
rm -rf "/Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework"

for dir in /Users/*;
do if [ -z "$(echo ${dir}/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.air*|grep -q '*')" ]; then

rm ${dir}/Library/Preferences/com.apple.air.*

rm ${dir}/Library/Caches/com.apple.air.*

rm -rf ${dir}/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AIR

fi
done

#####
#actual shell script I used
#####

#/bin/sh
#remove apps

rm -rf "/Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Uninstaller.app"
rm -rf "/Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app"

#remove add ins, flash player removed by other uninstaller which is rerun after this script

rm -rf "/Applications/Adobe/Flash Player/AddIns"

#file and folder removal
#also find command is useful

rm -rf "/Users/Shared/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AIR"
rm -rf "/Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework"
rm -rf "~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AIR"
find ~/Library/Caches -name com.adobe.air.* -exec rm {} ;
find ~/Library/Preferences -name
com.adobe.air.* -exec rm {} ;

Todai
New Contributor II

A little late to the party, but your script above was very helpful for me. Just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to post your script <3