Unmanaged and JSS Inventory, Smart Groups, etc

johnklimeck
Contributor II

This may or may not have been previously posted / discussed, but I would like to get completely clear on this

Is there an Extension Attribute to ascertain Managed and Unmanaged status in the JSS?, I do not see it or a way to create an EA

It seems prudent to be able to set a Mac's Machine Status as Retired or Disposed and subsequently "Unmanaged," and therefore re-claim a JAMF client license, for Macs that are actually on the network, Yet it seems as soon as a Mac is set to Unmanaged, one can no longer get any reports, Smart Groups, etc. on these Unmanaged Macs. Is this by design in the JSS?, is there a way to do this. Thanks in advance, John

3 REPLIES 3

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Yep, this is by design. Unmanaged Macs can't be included in Smart Groups, they can't run any policies nor get Configuration Profiles, etc. As such, an EA to get that information isn't really possible. But they can still be included in reports (Advanced searches). Just make sure you add the inventory column labeled "Managed" in your report and it will show as either "Managed" or "Unmanaged" in the resulting advanced search.
You should also be able to pull up a report on any Unmanaged Macs in your JSS by using the following:

Managed | Is | Unmanaged

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@johnklimeck, I'd also speak to your JAMF account manager about "unmanaged devices", as they do take up a seat. It's just a different seat with a different cost & that cost differs depending on your JAMF license agreement.

strider_knh
Contributor II

There is already a field in the database that tracks Managed. It is under the General section for the device's JSS entry. It will either say "Unmanaged" or "Managed by...." whatever account you are using.

Note: If the framework is removed from the station, either manually or the HDD being formatted, the info in the JSS will not be up to date and it will still say Managed. Which would be the same for the rest of the data for that device.