Update room field

Brad_G
Contributor II

Not sure if I'm overlooking anything obvious here...

Is there an easy way to fill the "room"information in the (8.52) JSS? I can search and find my lab of machines and then choose "Take Action on Results" and put in the department, building, servers etc but not the room. Seems useful for lab environments.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Two ways you can do it.

If you're using LDAP in your environment, that information can get pulled from LDAP.if you map Room to something on your AD/OD side that contains the info you're looking for.

In your case though it sounds like users are not actually associated with these Macs (you mentioned lab systems) In that case to bulk update them, you can do it via a shell command in the Run Command section of a policy assigned to a Static or Smart Group.

Do this-

jamf recon -room "Room Name"

THat will plug in whatever you enter for their room.

You can also do this through Casper Remote, assuming you have a group you can select with the Macs in your lab.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Two ways you can do it.

If you're using LDAP in your environment, that information can get pulled from LDAP.if you map Room to something on your AD/OD side that contains the info you're looking for.

In your case though it sounds like users are not actually associated with these Macs (you mentioned lab systems) In that case to bulk update them, you can do it via a shell command in the Run Command section of a policy assigned to a Static or Smart Group.

Do this-

jamf recon -room "Room Name"

THat will plug in whatever you enter for their room.

You can also do this through Casper Remote, assuming you have a group you can select with the Macs in your lab.

Brad_G
Contributor II

Thank you! I knew there had to be an easy way!

Jordan
New Contributor II

I'm trying to do something similar with my iPad labs. Currently I create a custom enrollment profile with location information such as room and teacher pre filled for the iPads. I can edit the location info for an individual iPad, but would like to be able to select the scope for one lab and mass edit the room/teacher when the lab is reassigned.

They are not bound to LDAP OU's ... Does anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Thanks guys

Not applicable

Building on mm2270's answer - I've been using LDAP lookups from my AD 2003 to fill in necessary info, but just now found the mapping I had been missing to get Room (in my case, network jack #, ie locations out on the office floor) from AD's Office field: map to physicalDeliveryOfficeName .

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

I'm still hoping that JAMF turns the Department field into an LDAP/AD field or allow an upload of a csv to prepopulate that field.