upgrade OS X using downloaded installerapp ?

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

PRIOR to dragging it into Casper Admin I would like to change the name of the dowloaded Apple OS X installer app from "Install OS X Yosemite.app" to "MY DEPT OS X Yosemite.app" , will changing this name have a negative effect on Casper admins doing its conversion to "Install OS X Yosemite.InstallESD.dmg" ?

I also plan to do this name change for previous OS X downloads ( Install OS X Mavericks.app etc..)

I am not sure if changing the *.app name will confuse casper admin

(I am going to create policy to upgrade imacs/mbpro/mbairs via users using Self Service)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

What is the reason for changing the name of the file? If you simply want to have the file show up as "MY DEPT OS X Yosemite.app" in Casper, you can change the display name in Casper Admin.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

What is the reason for changing the name of the file? If you simply want to have the file show up as "MY DEPT OS X Yosemite.app" in Casper, you can change the display name in Casper Admin.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

Thanks Stevewood, makes sense, just didn't come to me of doing the name change in casper admin after Casper Admin extracts the InstallESD.dmg file from the .app.