Upgrade to 10.7 or 10.8?

NealIV
Contributor

We are still on 10.6.8 and I plan on upgrading everyone to a new OS next year. Should I just upgrade to 10.7 or skip to 10.8? Or does it depend or hardware?

4 REPLIES 4

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

How would you even get your hands on 10.7 at this point? (and I mean legally) By the time you start your upgrade next year we'll probably be seeing betas for 10.9. I don't know that you'll have an option to go with 10.7 at that point. Apple looks forward, not backward. Getting 10.7 licenses from them won't be easy.

And to answer your second question, it may in fact depend on hardware. If you're buying any new Macs since the last update this year, they will require 10.8 or higher. Conversely, some older Macs will not run 10.8 at all.

All that said, you also need to consider your software. If you have older software titles that are not compatible with 10.8, you'll need to check on them, see if a new version is out that works with it., plan on upgrades, etc.

krichterjr
Contributor

Definitely look at your hardware to make sure your machines can handle it. As long as all the Apps you use in your environment are compatible, I would say go with 10.8.

With Apple moving to an annual release of it's OS, we can expect 10.9 in the next year. Updating to 10.7 leaves you further behind, which also means with less support from Apple in the long run.

Just my 2 cents...

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

NealIV
Contributor

Thank you!