Upgrading JSS

khurram
Contributor III

Is there any upgrade path to be followed while upgrading JSS. We are upgrading from 9.31 to 9.62. Can we do that straight away or do we need to follow another path. I couldn't find this information in the release notes.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

We did a JSS upgrade on Wednesday from 9.22 to 9.62, migrating from Windows Server 2008 R2 to 2012.

In our case we got the "JSS Startup Suspended" on the new server: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=349

After getting some great help from JAMF Support and digging through the JAMFSoftwareServer.log it was failing to rename one of the tables:

[ERROR] [Thread-2] [Table] - RENAME TABLE: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Table 'self_service_web_clip' already exists:RENAME TABLE blacklist TO `mobile_device_self_service`

It was trying rename the table, but in the process it left the previous table in place and couldn't remove it. We deleted the 'self_service_web_clip' table and restarted Tomcat and all was well.

IMPORTANT NOTE - Deleting a table will delete the data it is holding. If you're not sure, contact JAMF Support instead!

View solution in original post

bmak
Contributor
Contributor

We did a upgrade from 9.32 to 9.61.
We ran it in our test environment first and ran into similar issues that @davidacland had mentioned.

So we did a staged upgrade going from 9.32 to 9.4 and then from 9.4 to 9.61

And as mentioned here by others definitely have a backup of the DB as well as getting your JAMF account rep to go through your DB to ensure there are no issues.

Hope your upgrade goes smoothly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

You can make the jump straight away. You should still backup and TEST first. Every JSS is at least a little different and you may or may not have unique issues. That said, so long as everything is currently in working order it should be fine. There are a few threads talking about issues regarding high CPU usage and some iOS app deployment flakiness. However, there don't seem to be large groups of admins screaming that it killed their children either. I'll be upgrading after the nest week (When our students leave on vacation).

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

I'd recommend you get your account manager to run through your DB and give it a bit of a cleanup/prune etc etc before upgrading

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

We did a JSS upgrade on Wednesday from 9.22 to 9.62, migrating from Windows Server 2008 R2 to 2012.

In our case we got the "JSS Startup Suspended" on the new server: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=349

After getting some great help from JAMF Support and digging through the JAMFSoftwareServer.log it was failing to rename one of the tables:

[ERROR] [Thread-2] [Table] - RENAME TABLE: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Table 'self_service_web_clip' already exists:RENAME TABLE blacklist TO `mobile_device_self_service`

It was trying rename the table, but in the process it left the previous table in place and couldn't remove it. We deleted the 'self_service_web_clip' table and restarted Tomcat and all was well.

IMPORTANT NOTE - Deleting a table will delete the data it is holding. If you're not sure, contact JAMF Support instead!

bmak
Contributor
Contributor

We did a upgrade from 9.32 to 9.61.
We ran it in our test environment first and ran into similar issues that @davidacland had mentioned.

So we did a staged upgrade going from 9.32 to 9.4 and then from 9.4 to 9.61

And as mentioned here by others definitely have a backup of the DB as well as getting your JAMF account rep to go through your DB to ensure there are no issues.

Hope your upgrade goes smoothly.

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@khurram

In addition to what everyone else has recommended, we also have a KB article Preparing to Upgrade the JSS that details our recommendations of things to go over prior to a JSS upgrade.

That may be worth a look as well.

If you have questions beyond what's been mentioned here or beyond what's mentioned in the KB article, please reach out to your Technical Account Manager either by giving them a call, sending an e-mail to support@jamfsoftware.com, or using the My Support section of JAMF Nation, and they'll be happy to assist you prepare for or go through the upgrade.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

khurram
Contributor III

Thanks @maktime and @davidacland.

I would suggest the followings.

Step1: staged upgrade JSS from 9.31 to 9.4 and then to 9.62 as advised by @maktime
Step2: if you didn't follow the step1 then you might probably need the following solution as advised by @davidacland

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=349

bmak
Contributor
Contributor

@khurram No worries! Did your production JSS Server upgrade go well?

khurram
Contributor III

yes @maktime but I didn't follow your path and then I had to go through @davidacland way. I have now also tried upgrading one client macbook from Mavericks to Yosemite, all is well. I also installed app on one of the students iPad after blocking App sotre. Our two year old requirement is fulfilled. I am enjoying it. Thanks again.

bmak
Contributor
Contributor

@khurram that's most excellent news! Rock on!