Upgrading to 10.13.4

RLim945
New Contributor III

Hi, we've been using the following script provided by Jamf support to upgrade our Macs to High Sierra. We've had no issues with 10.13.2, but when we try to run this with 10.13.4, it stays stuck at the Jamf helper screen. I've been trying to figure out what the root cause was and I think it has to with the "firmware partition" being missing? My guess is that the 10.13.2 installer didn't check for this? The reason why I think it's that is because I ran the following:

"$OSInstaller/Contents/Resources/startosinstall" --applicationpath "$OSInstaller" --nointeraction

And it returned: Error: You may not install to this volume because the computer is missing a firmware partition.

Any ideas how to resolve this?

#!/bin/bash

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
#
# Copyright (c) 2017 Jamf.  All rights reserved.
#
#       Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
#       modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
#               * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
#                 notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
#               * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
#                 notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
#                 documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
#               * Neither the name of the Jamf nor the names of its contributors may be
#                 used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without
#                 specific prior written permission.
#
#       THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY JAMF SOFTWARE, LLC "AS IS" AND ANY
#       EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
#       WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
#       DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL JAMF SOFTWARE, LLC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
#       DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
#       (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
#       LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
#       ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
#       (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
#       SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
#
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

#
# This script was designed to be used in a Self Service policy to ensure specific
# requirements have been met before proceeding with an inplace upgrade of the macOS,
# as well as to address changes Apple has made to the ability to complete macOS upgrades
# silently.
#
# REQUIREMENTS:
#           - Jamf Pro
#           - Latest Version of the macOS Installer (must be 10.12.4 or later)
#           - Look over the USER VARIABLES and configure as needed.
#
#
# For more information, visit https://github.com/kc9wwh/macOSUpgrade
#
#
# Written by: Joshua Roskos | Professional Services Engineer | Jamf
#
# Created On: January 5th, 2017
# Updated On: October 17th, 2017
#

# USER VARIABLES

##Enter 0 for Full Screen, 1 for Utility window (screenshots available on GitHub)
userDialog=0

#Specify path to OS installer. Use Parameter 4 in the JSS, or specify here
#Example: /Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app
OSInstaller="$4"

##Version of OS. Use Parameter 5 in the JSS, or specify here.
#Example: 10.12.5
version="$5"

#Trigger used for download. Use Parameter 6 in the JSS, or specify here.
#This should match a custom trigger for a policy that contains an installer
#Example: download-sierra-install
download_trigger="$6"

#Title of OS
#Example: macOS High Sierra
macOSname=`echo "$OSInstaller" |sed 's/^/Users/Shared/Install (.*).app$/1/'`

##Title to be used for userDialog (only applies to Utility Window)
title="$macOSname Upgrade"

##Heading to be used for userDialog
heading="Please wait as we prepare your computer for $macOSname"

##Title to be used for userDialog
description="
This process will take approximately 5-10 minutes.
Once completed your computer will reboot and begin the upgrade."

#Description to be used prior to downloading the OS installer
dldescription="We need to download $macOSname to your computer, this will 
take several minutes."

##Icon to be used for userDialog
##Default is macOS Installer logo which is included in the staged installer package
icon="$OSInstaller/Contents/Resources/InstallAssistant.icns"

# SYSTEM CHECKS

##Check if device is on battery or ac power
pwrAdapter=$( /usr/bin/pmset -g ps )
if [[ ${pwrAdapter} == *"AC Power"* ]]; then
    pwrStatus="OK"
    /bin/echo "Power Check: OK - AC Power Detected"
else
    pwrStatus="ERROR"
    /bin/echo "Power Check: ERROR - No AC Power Detected"
fi

##Check if free space > 15GB
osMinor=$( /usr/bin/sw_vers -productVersion | awk -F. {'print $2'} )
if [[ $osMinor -ge 12 ]]; then
    freeSpace=$( /usr/sbin/diskutil info / | grep "Available Space" | awk '{print $6}' | cut -c 2- )
else
    freeSpace=$( /usr/sbin/diskutil info / | grep "Free Space" | awk '{print $6}' | cut -c 2- )
fi

if [[ ${freeSpace%.*} -ge 15000000000 ]]; then
    spaceStatus="OK"
    /bin/echo "Disk Check: OK - ${freeSpace%.*} Bytes Free Space Detected"
else
    spaceStatus="ERROR"
    /bin/echo "Disk Check: ERROR - ${freeSpace%.*} Bytes Free Space Detected"
fi

##Check for existing OS installer
if [ -e "$OSInstaller" ]; then
  /bin/echo "$OSInstaller found, checking version."
  OSVersion=`/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c 'Print :"System Image Info":version' "$OSInstaller/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallInfo.plist"`
  /bin/echo "OSVersion is $OSVersion"
  if [ $OSVersion = $version ]; then
    downloadOS="No"
  else
    downloadOS="Yes"
    ##Delete old version.
    /bin/echo "Installer found, but old. Deleting..."
    /bin/rm -rf "$OSInstaller"
  fi
else
  downloadOS="Yes"
fi

##Download OS installer if needed
if [ $downloadOS = "Yes" ]; then
  /Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper 
      -windowType utility -title "$title"  -alignHeading center -alignDescription left -description "$dldescription" 
      -button1 Ok -defaultButton 1 -icon "/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/SidebarDownloadsFolder.icns" -iconSize 100
  ##Run policy to cache installer
  /usr/local/jamf/bin/jamf policy -event $download_trigger
else
  /bin/echo "$macOSname installer with $version was already present, continuing..."
fi

# CREATE FIRST BOOT SCRIPT

/bin/mkdir /usr/local/jamfps

/bin/echo "#!/bin/bash
## First Run Script to remove the installer.
## Clean up files
/bin/rm -fdr "$OSInstaller"
/bin/sleep 2
## Update Device Inventory
/usr/local/jamf/bin/jamf recon
## Remove LaunchDaemon
/bin/rm -f /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.jamfps.cleanupOSInstall.plist
## Remove Script
/bin/rm -fdr /usr/local/jamfps
exit 0" > /usr/local/jamfps/finishOSInstall.sh

/usr/sbin/chown root:admin /usr/local/jamfps/finishOSInstall.sh
/bin/chmod 755 /usr/local/jamfps/finishOSInstall.sh

# LAUNCH DAEMON

cat << EOF > /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.jamfps.cleanupOSInstall.plist
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>Label</key>
    <string>com.jamfps.cleanupOSInstall</string>
    <key>ProgramArguments</key>
    <array>
        <string>/bin/bash</string>
        <string>-c</string>
        <string>/usr/local/jamfps/finishOSInstall.sh</string>
    </array>
    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <true/>
</dict>
</plist>
EOF

##Set the permission on the file just made.
/usr/sbin/chown root:wheel /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.jamfps.cleanupOSInstall.plist
/bin/chmod 644 /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.jamfps.cleanupOSInstall.plist

# APPLICATION

##Caffeinate
/usr/bin/caffeinate -dis &
caffeinatePID=$(echo $!)

if [[ ${pwrStatus} == "OK" ]] && [[ ${spaceStatus} == "OK" ]]; then
    ##Launch jamfHelper
    if [[ ${userDialog} == 0 ]]; then
        /bin/echo "Launching jamfHelper as FullScreen..."
        /Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper -windowType fs -title "" -icon "$icon" -heading "$heading" -description "$description" &
        jamfHelperPID=$(echo $!)
    fi
    if [[ ${userDialog} == 1 ]]; then
        /bin/echo "Launching jamfHelper as Utility Window..."
        /Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper -windowType utility -title "$title" -icon "$icon" -heading "$heading" -description "$description" -iconSize 100 &
        jamfHelperPID=$(echo $!)
    fi

##Begin Upgrade
    /bin/echo "Launching startosinstall..."
    "$OSInstaller/Contents/Resources/startosinstall" --applicationpath "$OSInstaller" --nointeraction --pidtosignal $jamfHelperPID &
    /bin/sleep 3
else
    ## Remove Script
    /bin/rm -f /usr/local/jamfps/finishOSInstall.sh
    /bin/rm -f /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.jamfps.cleanupOSInstall.plist

/bin/echo "Launching jamfHelper Dialog (Requirements Not Met)..."
    /Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper -windowType utility -title "$title" -icon "$icon" -heading "Requirements Not Met" -description "We were unable to prepare your computer for $macOSname. Please ensure you are connected to power and that you have at least 15GB of Free Space.

If you continue to experience this issue, please contact the IT Support Center." -iconSize 100 -button1 "OK" -defaultButton 1

fi

##Kill Caffeinate
kill ${caffeinatePID}

exit 0
7 REPLIES 7

jkosowski
New Contributor III

This may or may not resolve your issue, but might be a good place to start: Joshua Roskos publishes updates to this script at the URL near the top of the comments in the script: https://github.com/kc9wwh/macOSUpgrade. He has made a number of changes to it since the version you posted here (last updated Oct. 17, 2017), and those changes are often made because of issues that others brought to his attention. I would try updating your script first, and try running the policy again. If that doesn't work, perhaps isolate sections of the script as you started doing.

Also, when you tried running that single line of code, did you run it exactly as is in your comment, or did you run it as part of a script where those variables are defined? Forgive me if this is super obvious, but if you ran it exactly as is displayed above, "$OSInstaller" isn't going to call any path (the way it will as part of the whole script), so your isolation test, while a good idea, is going to misdirect you down the wrong troubleshooting path.

RLim945
New Contributor III

Wow, thanks! Can't believe I overlooked that! I was digging into the lines of code, but didn't read the comments in the beginning...

I'll take a look at the updated version and see if that works.

Also, yes, I did modify the line of code so that it points to the correct file paths.

jkosowski
New Contributor III

👍 no problem!

Had to ask about the filepath/variable thing because your computer wouldn't be able to boot without an EFI partition, which leads me to wonder which volume the command thought you were trying to install on. It couldn't have been the volume that macOS is currently installed on, because that volume (if the computer is booting successfully) has a firmware partition on it, so that line of code must have though the target volume was some other mounted disk or something like that.

RLim945
New Contributor III

So I tried the updated script and it still gave me the same error. It's running in a VM, so I tried running it on an actual computer and it worked just fine! Went back to the VM and tried upgrading manually by double-clicking the installer and it also gave me the same error.

Did something change in 10.13.4 that prevents you from upgrading to it from a VM? I'll try to download the installer fresh from the App Store and see if it returns the same error, but I've already tried 2 separate VMs.

jkosowski
New Contributor III

I know that the file system on a 10.13 VM, although it should be APFS, shows inside the VM as something other than that. Perhaps the startosinstall binary is looking for a firmware partition that similarly isn’t present in a VM in the same way that it’s present on an actual computer.

RLim945
New Contributor III

rhooper
Contributor III

We are having the same issues, except if the install macOS High Sierra is not present in the Applications it just stays right there at the prompt that says downloading the Installer app.

If I push the installer app there are no issues, but now the app is too large for Cloud distribution. Wondering if I have a method to push out the app by telling the device to go to AppStore and download the newest update/upgrade. Is there a method to do this and have it apply to only smart groups of 10.13.2 or lower?

We also need to wipe the SSD this summer for 1000 devices. I found a script to do that, but it requires the installer to be there in the Applications folder, which it is not, see above reason.

I am no scripter and do not dare change much, other than making the installer window normal size and not full screen.

Any help is appreciated.