Upgrading to Jamf Pro 10 from JSS 9.101.0-t1504998263 MySQL server upgrade question

aamjohns
Contributor II

The documentation for upgrade install says that MySQL version 5.6 or 5.7 is needed. I'm on 5.5. I've backed up the DB using the method described in the documentation (Jamf documentation) but it does not talk about upgrading MySQL. So I am using documentation from the mysql site for this procedure.

My question is, has anyone already done this and did it work ok? I'm on Server 2008 R2. Do I remove the 5.5 MySQL before installing MySQL 5.7? Or do I try to in-place upgrade?

I am just wondering if anyone has already done this and maybe can share their steps?

Thanks,
AJ

5 REPLIES 5

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

I think the best way is to take a backup using mysql dump, remove 5.5 entirely, install 5.7 and then restore your SQL dump. You should also grab a copy of your my.ini file incase you want to preserve some of those settings.

m_donovan
Contributor III

I converted my test environment from 5.6 to 5.7 using this article.

https://soundmacguy.wordpress.com/2017/03/27/jamf-pro-9-98-on-windows-migrating-to-mysql-5-7/

The process should work for 5.5 to 5.7 but of course you should test on non-production environment first.

aamjohns
Contributor II

Hi,
Thank you cbrewer and m.donovan for your responses. I appreciate the advice. AJ

davidhiggs
Contributor III

@aamjohns also consider the recommendation from MySQL is not to skip release versions. If you can, upgrade 5.5 to 5.6, confirm everything is ok, then upgrade to 5.7

aamjohns
Contributor II

@davidhiggs Thank you. I actually did the upgrade yesterday morning. I followed the instructions in the link m.donovan provided. It worked. I was not aware of the recommendation of not skipping a release version when upgrading. Fortunately it worked. Thank you. I will try to keep that in mind for future upgrades.

AJ