Upgrading to MacOS Mojave Without SS and 100%

NYBGIT
New Contributor III

Hi Guys just wanted to add my 2 cents on how I was able to upgrade from High Sierra to Mojave

A lot of posts I've seen in Jamf reference having their users trigger the upgrade event via self service which wasn't the route I wanted to take.

Others were trying to automate 100% but were running into osinstaller administrative prompt to begin the update which I believe I've found a very simple workaround.

1. My first place to start was here https://www.jamf.com/blog/streamlining-your-macos-upgrade-process/. I modified the script (#Start MacOS upgrade) to reflect Mojave.

2. Created cache policy to drop the installer in the /Applications/"installer". Note: please package installer with composer first.

3. Create a script ;

!/bin/bash

Heading to be used for jamfHelper

heading="Please wait as we prepare your computer for MacOS Mojave…"

Title to be used for jamfHelper

description="

This process will take approximately 30-60 minutes. The WorkStation will be unavailable during the upgrade
Once completed your computer will reboot and begin the upgrade."

Icon to be used for jamfHelper

icon=/Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/InstallAssistant.icns

Launch jamfHelper

/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper -windowType utility -title "" -icon "$icon" -heading "$heading" -description "$description" &

1. Create a policy to execute the install the notification (Scripts) with smart scope of cache installer on machine. Then, configure "Files and Processes" with the command ""/Applications/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall" --rebootdelay 60 --nointeraction --agreetolicense &"

I used the "Files and Processes" section because it executes the command as root. This eliminates the prompt for admin privileges.

I've tested numerous times and it never fails. Maybe this can be of help to others.

Also, I'm not good at scripting but what would help is a script to log anyone out of the machine for before triggering the update.

0 REPLIES 0