Uploaded pkg dmg name vs display name

janthenat
New Contributor III

If I've uploaded a pkg or dmg file to Settings > Computer Management > Packages, then change the display name of that item, will it cause a script that references the original name of the pkg or dmg to fail?  In other words does the original file name remain somewhere, or will my script need to be updated along with the pkg or dmg display name?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@janthenat The Display Name and Filename settings for Packages are independent. Changing the Display Name won't change the Filename, so if your script is operating on the .pkg after it's download to a target machine it will still need to use the original Filename.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@janthenat The Display Name and Filename settings for Packages are independent. Changing the Display Name won't change the Filename, so if your script is operating on the .pkg after it's download to a target machine it will still need to use the original Filename.

janthenat
New Contributor III

Ok, thanks for the info.  That being the case, I suppose the trick would be keeping track of both the pkg name and the display name.  Maybe best to leave the display name alone, and just change the pkg name before uploading if I want it to be something in particular, and manage that name in any applicable script.  Thanks!

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

Personally I use the package name for the display name. The most useful case I can think of for having them be different is a workflow where you had a package that's going to be changing frequently (e.g. Google Chrome or Microsoft Office) and you had an automated process to update the uploaded package so you didn't have to modify your Policy definitions. That wouldn't really help you if you're planning on running scripts to work on the package after it's downloaded to a targeted Mac since the package name is what you'd need for that.