Use of Application Icons for Self Service (legal)

leonwun
Contributor

Hey,

I am setting up Self Service for our company at the moment. Now, after writing scripts to install /update Apps / programs, I was wondering if it is allowed to use the apps / programs Icons in Self Service.

One example is Microsoft Office. My users can update all Office Programs via Self Service. Is it allowed to use e.g. the PowerPoint Icon from Microsoft in this Self Service Policy?

Would be great if any of you have some experience regarding this. I don't know if that matters but we're from Germany.

Edit:

I mainly wonder about Office, Google Apps (GMail, GDrive..), Adobe Apps

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

If you have the licensing to distribute the applications and you're not making any monetary gains from the use of those icons (e.g., using them on something you're selling) you should be in the clear. If you want to be mindful of use check for branding guidelines and don't alter the icons/images provided by the vendor.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Sanchi
Contributor

Unless you're using the icons for commercial purposes I'd say its fine - pretty much every Mac admin out there using a mix of app icons and custom icons. I have use app icons for years myself as it makes the whole thing much more intuitive for users. Just don't try to sell the icons 😉

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

Nobody outside of your organization is going to look at your Self Service icons...right? You're not putting the logos on merchandise and selling it.

The part that is going to get screwy is the EU's new copyright stuff. Even memes are getting people in trouble. Since you aren't monetizing the use, I think you're okay, but then again, I'm not up on EU laws.

The number one rule is: never self incriminate.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

If you have the licensing to distribute the applications and you're not making any monetary gains from the use of those icons (e.g., using them on something you're selling) you should be in the clear. If you want to be mindful of use check for branding guidelines and don't alter the icons/images provided by the vendor.