Using a subdirectory of a network mount for Distribution Point

Lutz
New Contributor

So I've been trying to get my JSS to use the sub directory of a share point for it's file share distribution point instead of the root of the share point.

For example I want my file share distribution point to be /Shared Items/JSS_Name/CasperShare/ while the mount itself is /Shared Items/JSS_Name/

There shouldn't be any technical reasons this can't work, as mounting a sub folder directly is supported over both AFP & SMB. See these articles:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4538
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4829

After trying to configure this in the JSS though, Casper Admin fails to mount the distribution point. I've checked the syslog information and even enabled the debug log in Casper Admin but the only information I get is that it can't mount the point. It never says why. If I attempt to connect directly through Finder it mounts perfectly fine.

I suspect it somehow has to do with the exact way Casper Admin sends the request to the server, but I can't find any documentation on that.

Does any one have any isights or other ideas?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

dlondon
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Maybe not what you want to hear but why not make the share the actual folder not the one above? That is what we do.

My philosophy is usually feed the beast what it wants if that's the easiest way to do it.

Regards,

David

Lutz
New Contributor

@dlondon

Hi David,

Yeah, that is how we currently do things, but for us it would be really helpful to go directly to subfolders. Here is why:

We run a multi-context environment where we host multiple JSS instances at once. Each one of these JSS gets its own distribution point. All of these distribution points are being hosted on the same server. Currently we numerous share points created, 1 for each DP. While this works just fine, it becomes a lot to manage and isn't as scalable.

Now if we were able to reduce that to just 1 share point but direct each JSS to mount a specific folder within that share as its PD...well, it would just end up being a lot cleaner and easier to manage.

The other thing is I'm pretty confident that this can be done, it really just requires knowing the syntax of how the different Casper tools call and mount the file shares.

Thanks,
Brendan