VPP app installs failing on Mac

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

After I was finally able to convince our InfoSec to open the proxy and firewall to allow VPP, I tested it by doing an automatic install of Slack, then a Self Service install of IP Scanner onto a couple Macs. it worked fine. Yesterday I decided to install both those apps onto a couple more Macs via the same methods. I scoped the computers to both apps (I have assignments to spare for each). However, both install methods are failing. With the automatic install, absolutely nothing happens. I can find no log entries on the local Macs to indicate anything at all has even attempted to happen. I enabled debug logging on the JSS and saw these 2 lines:

Sending new 'InstallApplication' command to 'UserPushToken [ID=404, Name=cmcintosh]' computer: 'COMPUTERNAME'

and

Not installing MacApp [ID=12, Name=Slack] for Computer [ID=323, Name=COMPUTERNAME] because not VPP assigned

So I read that to mean it is TRYING to tell the Mac to install but it thinks the app isn't assigned.... but it IS! I disabled the app in JSS then re-enabled it in hopes that maybe that would kick it in the butt, but it didn't change anything.

For the Self Service installation of IP Scanner, I click on the install button and the progress circle just spins and says "Installing". I tried several times with the same result. I even let it sit overnight.... when I got in this morning I saw it was still spinning and saying "Installing". Once again there is nothing in the local logs to indicate any problems, and I can't find ANYTHING in the JSS log to indicate anything at all is happening. I rebooted both computers I was working with and tried it again... automatic install of Slack still does nothing. but Self Service install of IP Scanner now will spin for a second then flash a red "Error" and then automatically launches the Mac App Store to the app description! Once again no log entries anywhere to explain what's going on. In the spirit of troubleshooting, I redownloaded my VPP token even though it wasn't due to expire for 4 months. That didn't make any difference to either situation. Any ideas for what could be going on here?

8 REPLIES 8

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I just found out that the IP Scanner app is appearing in EVERYONE'S Self Service! I double and triple checked and I only have the app scoped to 3 computers total. This is freaky weird!

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

more weirdness: I think the reason Slack isn't pushing out is because the JSS thinks all 5 assignments are already used - despite the fact that it has only ever been installed on 1 Mac via VPP. I can't find any way to check the assignments or clear them.

ctarbox
Contributor II

I know this is a few years old, but I am experiencing the same thing. Mostly with Xcode, but also with iMovie, Keynote, Pages, and Numbers.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get this installs happening after a failed attempt?

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@ctarbox Which issue are you seeing? Are you oversubscribed on licenses? or are you seeing an error reported in the management tab for the device?

ctarbox
Contributor II

@jcarr, I am not oversubscribed on any of the licenses I am trying to push. Nor am seeing any reported errors.

I am Scoping both iMovie and Xcode 12.3 to Smart Groups for a brand new, fresh install of Big Sur for one of my public labs. In some cases (very few) the apps install as expected. But when they don't is where I am having issues. There are no Failed Commands listed in the Management Tab. Even though it shows they are scoped, there are no Pending or Failed Commands in the History Tab.

I have tried making an Exclusion to pull a computer out of the Scope, then after a period of time removing the exclusion to see if this would trigger an install; I have also removed the entire Smart Group out of Scope, then after a period of time re-adding it. Neither of these actions have made any difference.

Recons do not have any affect either.

I do have an open ticket with Jamf Support regarding this, but nothing we have tried -- sans wiping these computers and starting over -- has worked.

Any suggestions on how to force an install of a VPP app would be helpful.

ctarbox
Contributor II

I also want to mention that the progress bar that use to appear below an app when it was installing is no longer there. I don't know if this was removed in Big Sur, or in one of the Jamf releases (I'm on-prem at 10.26.1). This was helpful as it would show the progress or if the install had Paused.

ctarbox
Contributor II

Update: I was able to get one of the Smart Groups to successfully install all scoped apps (Keynote, Numbers, Pages, iMovie, Xcode), by ticking ‘Schedule Jamf Pro to automatically check the App Store for App updates' in 'General' settings for a specific time.

For my second Smart Group I threw the towel in and created .PKGs via Composer and created and scoped Policies for the app installations.

I only seem to have a problem with this functionality with Apple apps (iWorks, iMovie, Xcode).

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I'm going to add to this even though it's been a long time since my original post. I still struggle with VPP distribution.

I "purchased" 500 copies of the free app LastPass in our VPP. I setup the app in Mac Apps in Jamf for a Self Service installation. I initially scoped it to a couple Macs I use for testing. During my testing on those Macs the self service installation worked (after I realized there was a conflict with the previous non-App Store distribution of the app. I deleted the old app and the Self Service install worked). I figured I'd open up the app to the general population so I scoped it to All Computers. Since doing that, any new installs via self service just hang. The progress wheel just spins forever. I let other Macs spin for HOURS with no errors... it just spins and never installs (these other Macs have never had the previous LastPass version installed). I then changed it to being scoped to only a small number of specific Macs and the instant I did that, the pending installs installed IMMEDIATELY! Are we not allowed to scope Self Service VPP apps to All Computers? Could it be that we have 1500 Macs, but I only got 500 licenses? I wouldn't think it matter since it's installed via Self Service - first come first served. Do I need to get enough licenses to cover "All Computers"?