VPP App store apps via School Manager: License not eligible for device assignment.

Qwheel
Contributor II

Hello all,

Has anyone encountered this issue before?

(Apparently I don't have permission to upload images.)

So, I'm on site early this morning. I DEP enrolled a fresh Macbook Pro and I noticed our usual force install of basic App Store apps hadn't gone on (Microsoft Office).
I checked the device in JAMFcloud and under 'Failed Management Commands' I can see "License not eligible for device assignment".

To confirm. I tried downloading VPP apps via our JAMF Self Service app on another Macbook and an alternate MacOS Apple device, and they're all failing.

Apple School Manager looks fine. Certificates and tokens are all valid and we've got plenty of licenses provisioned.
We renewed our VPP token for good measure, but it's still not budged.

JAMF online chat seems to have disappeared... currently 17 minutes on hold to phone support.
Anyone seen this before?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

karthikeyan_mac
Valued Contributor

The issue is resolved now. We had the same issue in Jamf 10.35 On Prem. Apps are installing now.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

dcolville-msc
New Contributor II

As of around 4 hours ago, we're seeing it as well on 2 just-enrolled M1 MacBook Airs as well.

dcolville-msc
New Contributor II

There's an open Incident about this - status updates from here: https://status.jamf.com/incidents/djl5h98w0zls

Actually, I'm sorry - this is a JAMF Now issue.

We're on a Jamf Pro OnPrem Installation and we have the same problem … So it must be on apples side (due to the fact that there's no Jamf Cloud Server Stuff involved)

That's ok.
Thanks for your suggestion.

Got through to JAMFsupport. A job is logged.
I'll be sure to feedback when we get to the bottom of it.

Utilizator
Contributor

We're having this exact issue using Self Service - any ABM App fails with the following error:

"License not eligible for device assignment."

I can see it's an ongoing incident, but the whole process of deploying VPP Apps through Jamf/Self Service is very flakey anyway. Wish they'd just sort it out once and for all.

mberardinelli
New Contributor II

Seeing the same here. Two freshly-zapped and re-enrolled Macbook Airs (2015-era) on Monterey 12.2. VPP apps fail to deploy with the same error message (same result whether the apps are set to automatically install, or trying via Self Service). Running JAMF 10.35.0.

I haven't seen this issue for the iOS/iPadOS side of things. Just Mac apps so far.

Utilizator
Contributor

Just FYI, the status page states this is affecting Jamf Pro and Jamf Now (we are using Jamf Pro in eu-west-2)

https://status.jamf.com/

Qwheel
Contributor II

That status page is helpful!
Glad it isn't just me then!

mdaymude
New Contributor II

We're seeing the same thing currently with some Self Service App Store installs. Already verified we have more than enough licenses, connection looking good both ways between computer and JAMF Admin, and no issues or changes with the Apple VPP... this is frustrating.

aghali
New Contributor II

Same here I'm getting the same Status error trying to install MS Office apps, which I have done the same exact way for years. Verified that everything was set correctly on our end in Jamf Pro and ASM. Waiting to hear back from support after I opened a ticket a few hours ago. I couldn't add images either!

whiteb
Contributor II

Seeing this as well today. Brand new MBP 14". Monterey 12.2. Jamf Pro 10.35, Cloud-hosted.

Seems to just be App Store apps in Self Service failing. "License not eligible for device assignment."

VPP licenses, etc. look fine.

Qwheel
Contributor II

It’s all VPP apps for us. Including those set to force-install.

jlattke
New Contributor III

@jamfEmployees Unfortunately this issue is only reported as an problem of the cloud services! But On-Premise installations are infected as well. So to me it seems like you have to search on the ABM side. Maybe the Apple Infrastructure causes that problem … (BTW: We also had issues to install/download macOS updates) @jamf/anyone  Could you please confirm that this problem affects also local installations and not only on cloud instances!?

Jamf Pro 10.35.0-t1640197529
Devices tested: MBP 13" & 16" M1 and iMac 27" intel (Monterey 12.2 & Big Sur 11.6.2)

jlattke
New Contributor III

@jamfEmployees Please confirm that this issue is also a problem at On-Premise installations due we have exactly the same problem (License not eligible for device assignment.) on a local installation (newest version). @all Is there anyone else with On-Prem having this issue?

- Jamf Pro 10.35.0-t1640197529
- MBP 13"+16" M1 with Monterey 12.2
- iMac 27" intel with Big Sur 11.6.2

No VPP Apps from Apple Business Manager can be installed – all local Packages are installing without problems!

JAMF Support got back to me this morning - looks like it's on Apple's side:

This has been raised with AppleCare Enterprise Support, as ticket #101621526174

jlattke
New Contributor III

That’s what I said: the Problem exists also in On-Premise installations with no changes in the last days. When no Jamf Cloud System is involved it must be on Apples side. 

BTW: Also trouble to connect (directly with no Jamf involved) the Apple Software Updare Servers. 

karthikeyan_mac
Valued Contributor

The issue is resolved now. We had the same issue in Jamf 10.35 On Prem. Apps are installing now.

What fixed the issue? I am confused by this answer. 

--
Matthew Warren
College of Liberal Arts
Auburn University

It was an outage and jamf posted the same in their status page. You can find the details below. 

https://status.jamf.com/incidents/djl5h98w0zls