VPP integration to supervised iPads

pmurphy
New Contributor

Driving me a little bit crazy here - I have linked my VPP account with JSS - purchases are all listed. I have created smart groups to populate. I have ensured that 'assign vpp content' is checked, I have assigned the scope.
Waiting in anxious anticipation as I watch the iPad screen - a message appears stating "App Installation - Sign in to iTunes to allow "jss.$$$$$.org" to manage and install apps.
Is this something I've done in my configuration profile that I've sent to the same scope?
Is there a step I have missed to allow apps to be pushed to devices instead of users?

8 REPLIES 8

PatrickD
Contributor II

How Many apps are you testing with?

Are they Device Assignable? (in JSS go to Mobile Devices -> Apps -> "App Name" -> VPP Tab and tick Assign VPP Content) If that option isn't there then it probably isn't device assignable. You can also check in the VPP app store if an app is device assignable.

What JSS version are you on?

What iOS version are you on?

Have you set your JSS to automatically install Self-service? I had an issue with this a few versions ago where it would try auto install but would prompt for login so I just bought 1000+ licenses from VPP store and distributed manually with an app config and VPP assignment ticked.

pmurphy
New Contributor

I have d/l'd 1000 copies of each app to VPP - it is linked with JSS properly and shows them being available.
testing 3 apps - all free, all google - chrome, drive, docs
I have ensured that 'assign vpp content' is checked, I have assigned the scope.

Jss ver 9.93
ios 9.3.5

Self Service Settings: Self Service set to install automatically - no login - no notifications

Still prompts me every time to sign into iTunes to allow jss to manage and install apps

PatrickD
Contributor II

Hmmmm
Have you still got a user associated with the iPad? Maybe it is receiving a VPP invitation.

Try deleting the iPad entirely if possible from JSS, wipe iPad, don't associate a user with it, don't scope any of the 3 apps and just let self-service install and see if you are still prompted. If you are still prompted, I would turn off Install self-service automatically.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Make sure your app definitions do NOT have 'Make Managed if Unmanaged'

PatrickD
Contributor II

Hi @cdenesha,

Curious to know how and why that setting can be detrimental to this situation? Might help me iron our some bugs.

Thanks in advance,
Pat

alexleedev
New Contributor

I was experiencing the same issue. I'm using the Cloud-hosted version of JSS and am deploying In-House apps to iPads used as Kiosks. "Make app managed when possible" is grayed out on my screen, so unchecking it isn't an option. The fix for me was setting the Self-Service app to not install automatically. "Mobile Device Management" > "Self-Service" > "General" tab 49db9d18cc6b40538f592b1e59da6d0e

qureshis
New Contributor

Thank you alexleedev! That fixed my problem!

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

@PatrickD Sorry I missed this a month ago.

My notes say:
From Apple dev forum: "This is a bug introduced in iOS 9.3.2. The issue is if ChangeManagementState is set to Managed, iOS treats the command as if PurchaseMethod was set to 1. This is expected to be fixed in a future iOS release, but I have no further details to share at this time."

In practice however I've learned that this affects non-VPP apps only, so my suggestion would not have worked in this instance.

chris