vpp redownload call timed out <mdmclienterror:72>

mjames
Contributor

Hi,

I am seeing a lot of our systems having the "vpp redownload call timed out <mdmclienterror:72>" error when cliets try to install VPP apps via Self Service on MacOS (most clients are 10.14.2).

I have tried clearing the failed commands, reconning, re-enrolling etc with no luck.

I am hesitant to revoke all apps as I have seen suggested because I am concerned about the number of people who will experience iTunes notifications about apps not being assigned (the staff at this school are fragile...).

Any advice would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pbowden
Contributor III

@mjames @whitebeer The issue with storedownloadd crashing during MAS installs is fixed in 10.14.4 Beta 4 (18E205e). This is RADAR 47685116. Let me know if you still see problems after the update. For clarity, typical symptoms of this bug:
- Larger MAS apps like Xcode and Office fail to install and leave behind an .appdownload stub
- Needing to run multiple jamf recon commands to coerce apps to install
- MDMClientError:72 failed command seen in JSS

I've updated https://macadmins.software/mas with the latest info. The largest outstanding issue that I'm still tracking is the inability to update MAS apps through MDM when the user has the app perpetually open.

View solution in original post

407 REPLIES 407

francis_fernand
New Contributor

Have also been having this issue for a while now, have tried many things to remedy but the issue is very intermittent where VPP installs fail more than they succeed.

ajfunk
Contributor

Here's what's happening in my environment...

It seems like the first Mac of the day that I set up receives its Scoped VPP apps without issue - any Mac after that gets the error 72. I have absolutely no issue pushing Scoped VPP apps to iOS devices.

tphet
New Contributor II

After renewing the VPP token, it was working for about two weeks, but today it broke again with the same error 72. This is for Microsoft Excel, Powerpoint, Word.

optimizelyadmin
New Contributor

Hello @mjames ,

Can you please remove the "resolved" post as this is being experienced still by several people.

Ajayv
New Contributor III

Nope, this is still an issue, I'm on 10.15.0.

sullrich
New Contributor III

We are experiencing the same exact issue with version 10.16.0

jsmythegloo
New Contributor

Seeing this issue too. I have​ tried all the things mentioned here.

kstrick
Contributor III

issue has gotten worse this week on our end

Dylan_YYC
Contributor III

We've been seeing an increase as well.

mmajewski
New Contributor

Same problem here on 10.15

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

We have tickets open with AppleCare a Enterprise Support and Jamf. Jamf also has opened tickets with Apple.

VPP is fragile and unreliable.

Apple needs to fix their s**t.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

Dschurrat
New Contributor II

I Have already the Problems. Hope Apple fix this Problem soon.

ITS NOT FUNNY

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@Dschurrat if you scroll up you'll find ticket numbers that we submitted and that Jamf submitted, would send those to Apple to so they can gauge impact (the more tickets the more attention it gets).

--
https://donmontalvo.com

cbrodsky
New Contributor II

Also experiencing this, also have tickets open with Jamf and Apple

KyleEricson
Valued Contributor II

Has anyone build a script to do the following?
1. Cancel failed MDM commands.
2. Send blank push
3. Sudo jamf recon

Would be nice to have a script that could be built into a policy.

Read My Blog: https://www.ericsontech.com

hhorn
New Contributor III

I have one:
Bash:
https://github.com/hhorn76/JAMF/blob/master/API%20Scripts/clearAllFailedComputerMDMCommands.sh
PowerShell:
https://github.com/hhorn76/JAMF/blob/master/PowerShell/JamfAPIClearFailedVppMdmCommands.ps1

tphet
New Contributor II

On top of Microsoft products, I'm getting the error for apps like Numbers and Pages, it takes multiple attempts to get it installed until it randomly works. Users are opening tickets for failed installs and we have to tell them to keep trying. Not ideal.

KyleEricson
Valued Contributor II

@hhorn Great thanks.

Read My Blog: https://www.ericsontech.com

nirush_mylvagan
New Contributor

was experiencing the issue yesterday but everything is working fine since this morning.

kstrick
Contributor III

Have tickets open with Jamf and Apple... Apple Engineering supposedly looking at this, but no actual info on resolution. This is a not good.

Heavy_D
Contributor III

We are going into months now. Not a single peep on this, in terms of resolution or a potential fix.

hhorn
New Contributor III

Just upgraded to 10.16.1, but we are still seeing this issue.

Cayde-6
Release Candidate Programs Tester

It’s not a Jamf problem, solely Apple

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

@hhorn can you go into detail on how to use those scripts?

Edit: figured it out… for others open terminal and use this line changing apiuser:password for the appropriate information, leaving the ` marks. paste the info into the strAuth in line 9

echo -n 'apiuser:password' | openssl base64

mhuang19
New Contributor

This had worked on and off for me in the past, now VPP downloads no longer work at all and always time out...

jkunkel
New Contributor II

It's problem I encountered over the last few weeks here too. This happens for apps set to install silently or via Self Service. I've opened tickets with JAMF & Apple. It's an Apple issue: I asked an SE about it at a recent event & was told it's being worked on, but there's no timeline for a fix. What's the most maddening is that it's inconsistent-some of the above fixes are working for some folks, but not everyone.

MikeT
New Contributor III

Update #2 11/1/2019: Appears it has gotten worse for us since my last post. When in a time crunch we are copying the Apple Apps to flash drives (That were pulled down from Jamf to a machine not experiencing the VPP issue) and putting them in Applications on the machines that we can not "jiggle the handle" and get them to pull down via self service using all the tricks above. We have also put in an Applecare ticket and referenced previous Apple & Jamf AC tickets listed here. Our AC ticket # is 100941078865. Also referenced this URL in the ticket and cc'd our Apple SE.

landonletzkus

Been following this thread almost since it's inception, so thought I'd chime in and say that in my environment we've seen this issue progress from "intermittent" to "consistent" to "damn near all of the time." Like many of you, we've observed this to be exclusive to macOS devices running 10.13.x - 10.15.x. Our iOS, iPad OS and tvOS devices are able to download VPP apps via Self Service without issue, as are the few devices we still have running macOS 10.12. We've worked through every suggested solution in this thread with no success. In fact, it seems that things are only getting worse.

It's really hard to sell folks on Self Service as a viable solution when VPP apps (which make up most of our offerings) are almost certainly going to fail...

kstrick
Contributor III

I would urge anyone who hasn't opened a case with Apple to open one, and reference ticket 100893229861, which JAMF has open with them... the more reports, maybe the more pressure... (we can hope, right?!?)

rhooper
Contributor III

If someone from above has not done it yet; how does one go about setting up a ticket with Apple?

trusttoken_it
New Contributor

If anyone is still having issues with this, I think I found a workaround.
Follow what @samherren posted, but in addition, make sure to keep the Mac App Store open at all times.
This seemed to ease the process with all machines I tested after discovering this trick.

DennisMX
Contributor II

Cannot find any comment of @Samherren in this thread, where to find it?

What we discovered in combination with JCV, that if we have not yet logged into JCV on the client if fails.
cancel all failed and login JCV and app starts downloading.

Note:
JCV has nothing to do with authentication on app store or whatever, but on of the guy of the support team at my company discovered this.

Note2:
There are several thread about this issue with possible workarounds.
disconnect from network and cancel all failed seems to be a workaround for more then 50% of the issues

MikeT
New Contributor III

Update #3 11/04/2019 Apple has replied to my AC ticket: "Your issue matches a behavior we are currently investigating". He encouraged everyone having this issue to please put in a ticket and also give quantities of devices effected in your environment so they they can prioritize for enterprise customers. I also shared this threads URL in the ticket and the Jamf ticket #'s below (as mentioned earlier in this thread):

• Jamf AppleCare ticket (100893229861)
• Jamf Product Issue (PI-007435)

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

I'm curious what everyone else is doing? Are you just effectively stopping using VPP and going back to traditional packaging/redeployment? It really sucks to have to re-package 7+GB Xcode installers (for example) but for us, VPP is now 100% un-reliable.

emilh
New Contributor III

Just a big +1.
Been seeing this for at last 6 months now. Across all kinds of machines with Mojave and Catalina.

Mostly when installing Logic, GarageBand, Pages, Keynote and Numbers.

MikeT
New Contributor III

We have flash drives with GarageBand, Pages, Keynote & Numbers we can quickly deploy to students/teachers that need if initially it fails in Self Service (These were pulled from a MacBook that had the apps deployed properly via Self Service). Luckily a lot of students had already downloaded these before the issue hit us harder. Still a pain and a good number effected that did not initially download at the first of the school year (or students that just now are taking classes that require GarageBand) or with freshly erased/provisioned MacBooks. We had a method that seemed to work for us and got us by which was clearing the VPP error logs and running a recon multiple times. This work around doesn't appear to work as well currently as it did in mid October.

ajfunk
Contributor

Seriously though, what's taking so long to find and fix this issue - an issue that's extremely high-impact to a multitude of organizations? I can't count on two hands how many tickets i've raised for this issue - tickets dating back to March 2019 - and I've been met with absolutely no response from Apple.

Cayde-6

So the only annoying thing is that Apple do not comment about their internal investigations. We all get the standard reply of “we’ve identified the fault and are working on a solution”

Heavy_D
Contributor III

@easyedc I am in the same boat as you are man, unable to use it at all. And still don't have a game plan on it.

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

@JarvisUno Fortunately we didn't leverage VPP for that much (only about a dozen apps) but still, it's a pain.