Ways to deploy mac os Mojave 10.14.6 with out using USBS. Any suggestions!

Andrewpants1
New Contributor III

Any suggestions on how to do this process using jamf imaging.

8 REPLIES 8

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

We have users update themselves through the App Store, if we decom and re-provision a system it is done via USB stick or Internet Recovery. The cost of maintaining an image is not really worth the engineering efforts to keep up to date versus IR these days.

m_donovan
Contributor III

Take a look at MDS (Mac Deploy Stick) from twocanoes. It is open source and you can host a mountable DMG on a file share and with a few commands install Mojave with or without erasing the drive.

mlope653
New Contributor III

Hi there,

we are currently using Mac Deploy Stick to image our lab computers. We were using SSD's to image the computers needed but we just switched over to the network image option offered by Mac Deploy Stick. We imaged 22 machines this past Friday in 35 minutes roughly.

Jamf handles the rest and begins to install the software.

I will attach the video from Youtube TwoCanoes posted regarding the network imaging. https://youtu.be/zyuHQyoW1hE

PaulHazelden
Valued Contributor

I will add to the Mac Deploy Stick method.

We use a server to host the MDS image. It is simple to mount it through Terminal. It installs Mojave, and then as all of our Macs are DEP Macs, we have to return to each Mac after about 30 mins and click the mouse a few times to get to the Remote Management screen, click this one and walk away from the Mac, as DEP and JAMF take over from there.

The only issues, if the OS is too old, I have found we can't mount the share point, the running OS is in a read only mode. It does the same if you use an internet recovery drive. For these you need a bootable USB stick to boot from. From memory the problem ones were on 10.11 and older. If you want to check, just boot one into recovery drive, then open Terminal, and try "mkdir /tmp/mnt" without the quotes. If it says read only system then you will need to use a USB stick. If it makes the directory, then you can go ahead with the deployment using a server.

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

Question - are these updating the in-place OS for the user? Or are you doing a reprovision of the computer to start back from zero? If you're doing an in-place upgrade, then the method of caching the installer and letting the user kick it off via self service is your friend. If you're looking to completely erase and reprovision the Mac, then use this guy. Reinstall a clean macOS with one button

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

Take a look at installr.

prl
Contributor

+1 on @easyedc answer

mickgrant
Contributor III

I'm currently using an application that runs eraseinstall.app
Then the machines are picked back up via DEP and enrolled
Then i have DEP notify run when when setup assistant is done to install apps and automatically rename computers from a goggle sheet CSV tied to serial numbers - Rename computers from google sheet

this method has been bulletproof for me. every step is fully prompted, and at most takes 5 clicks