We have an iPad that is not getting the options that iPhones have to register with Azure AD

Karbashi
New Contributor II

We have an iPad that is not getting the options that iPhones have to register with Azure AD

When we add an iphone it immediately gets the option to register with Microsoft within the jamf app on the device. However, we are trying to add an ipad device and it does not get the option to register with Microsoft in the jamf app. I was able to register it with Microsoft through the settings in the Microsoft Authenticator app, however, this is not the normal process and the ipad does show in Azure ad, but its compliance shows as n/a. Because the compliance shows as n/a, we are unable to connect the device to email and other Microsoft apps. 

Is there something that we are missing? The only thing that we can see causing the problem is that the ipad did not get the option to register with Microsoft from within the jamf app for some reason.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Karbashi
New Contributor II

I actually figured it out, We have in Jamf the smart group that actually gets the register with Microsoft option. I had to add ipads to the group, before it was only for iphones. Once i added ipads to be added to the jamf smart group, it worked.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Jaykrishna1
Contributor II

The reason for the difference in behavior between the iPhone and iPad device registration is likely due to the device's operating system. iPhones run on iOS and can be directly integrated with Microsoft Intune for MDM management and device compliance policies. On the other hand, iPads run on iPadOS, which is a different operating system, and may require additional steps for integration with Microsoft Intune.

To resolve the issue with the iPad device not showing the option to register with Microsoft within the Jamf app, you can try the following steps:

1. Ensure that the iPad is running the latest version of iPadOS.
  2. Check the device enrollment settings in Microsoft Intune to see if the iPad is supported for enrollment.
  3. Make sure the Microsoft Authenticator app is installed on the iPad and configured to work with Azure Active Directory.
  4. If the issue persists, you can try unenrolling and reenrolling the iPad in Jamf.

If these steps do not resolve the issue, you may need to reach out to Microsoft support for further assistance.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Open a ticket with Microsoft. You are missing some configuration for iPadOS on your Azure Tennant. 

Karbashi
New Contributor II

I actually figured it out, We have in Jamf the smart group that actually gets the register with Microsoft option. I had to add ipads to the group, before it was only for iphones. Once i added ipads to be added to the jamf smart group, it worked.