Web Content Filtering

barberd
New Contributor II

I have been asked to block peer-to-peer sites on the devices campus-wide. Is web content filtering on macOS devices possible? What would be the best way to do it, if possible?

4 REPLIES 4

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@barberd If your only tool is Jamf Pro you'll probably have better luck using Restricted Software configurations for the apps used to access the peer-to-peer sites. And/or a Configuration Profile with a Security & Privacy->Firewall payload to block the apps that access the sites.

You could use a Configuration Profile to deploy a Parental Controls payload blocking specific sites, but I've never tried that personally.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

The parental controls actually caused a conflict with some of the testing software we use and sometimes could have some adverse affects on other websites.  Id probably say to look at getting something higher level like a Cisco Umbrella, or a GoGuardian, or jamf Safe Internet.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Your task is beyond the scope of MDM. You will need a tool specifically designed to do what you are asking, and use JAMF Pro to install and manage its configuration. Tools like Forcepoint, and Netskope work well but there are many other options. JAMF Safe Internet may also work here, but I am not well versed in that product.

SCCM
Contributor III

You should be blocking those on your network (firewall), or via your AV (web filtering)