Weird Composer problem

rob_potvin
Contributor III
Contributor III

Since the 8.5 upgrade I can't seem to build reliable DMGs with composer

I have tried different build folders and external drives but after the build when I mount the DMG I have this...

external image link

Not sure what my issue is. Anyone else having the same problem?

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

evancotter
New Contributor II

I have seen this happen in 8.52 when changing the name of the package before compiling it. IE: Name the package TEST prior to snapshot, complete install, snapshot, and then rename to TEST-1 before building the package.

The workaround is obviously to leave the package named as it was, then change the name once it has been created.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Reset the prefs?

rob_potvin
Contributor III
Contributor III

yeah did that, still not working!

Does the build have to be on the root drive or an external. I am building on an iMac that has the system on a 256GB SSD and my home folder is on the internal 2GB... thinking that might be an issue....

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

I would think that if the working volume for Composer is the same as your boot volume you'd be fine. Places you may run into oddities is if you're creating packages where there's items going into a user's folder.

gmarcelino
New Contributor

I would update to 8.52 I think this is one of the patches. Plus I faced a few bugs in 8.5

evancotter
New Contributor II

I have seen this happen in 8.52 when changing the name of the package before compiling it. IE: Name the package TEST prior to snapshot, complete install, snapshot, and then rename to TEST-1 before building the package.

The workaround is obviously to leave the package named as it was, then change the name once it has been created.

kevindigg
New Contributor
I have seen this happen in 8.52 when changing the name of the package before compiling it.

I'll second this. I ran into the same issue today. Compiling the dmg first, then changing the file name of the dmg seems to be the workaround

friedelj
New Contributor III

I've seen this problem with Composer 8.52 as well. It's not just for snapshots either. I've had it happen with DMGs that were created by dragging files into the Composer window, which are the ones I typically rename in Composer.

The workaround of creating the DMG, then renaming that file has worked for me thus far.

TimT
Contributor

We have been having this same issue, see https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=4317

Unless you have a pressing need to be using Composer 8.52 our solution was to move back to Composer 8.51 which honours directory structure and just works.

Cheers

andrewseago
Contributor

I too am having this issue with Composer 8.52

rob_potvin
Contributor III
Contributor III

Sorry I am on 8.52. Looks like that is the bug, when I rename the package it doesn't work. Thanks

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I was able to confirm this myself, just by using Composer 8.52, (although we are still running JSS version 8.4 here) Just the simple act of renaming a source in Composer, even one I had previously built out, caused it to install the ROOT, Scripts, Snapshots and Settings folders at the root of the HD. I ran the pkg manually after copying to the target system so it has nothing to do with Casper itself or a deployment process. Just a bug in Composer 8.52. Weird.
I'm guessing JAMF is well aware and will fix it soon enough.

jake
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi Everyone -

Thank you for the feedback. This issue has been addressed in an upcoming release. The defect number to reference in the release notes is D-002856.

Thanks!