Weird Error on JAMF Policy run from terminal

Treger
Contributor

Hi there guys,

I have spoken to JAMF about this but they are stumped too, can anyone tell me if they have seen this error below and weather you have fixed or know what it is:

jamf(14354,0xb0093000) malloc: mach_vm_map(size=2147483648) failed (error code=3)
error: can't allocate region
* set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

This comes from running a terminal "jamf policy" the version is irrelevant because I have seen this through multiple versions of the jamf binary. It does not, however, seem to affect the machine reporting in, in any way. I think I first noticed this on jamf version 8.6 I am now running 9.1, I have upgraded to every binary in between and there has been no resolution. The OS version also is irrelevant because it happens from 10.8 (the very few I have left) to 10.10, removing and re-adding the framework on the client does not help either.

I have flushed logs, and cleared just about everything I can think of in terms of old machines, polices etc on the JSS.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@Treger Can you spin up a test JSS & see if clients enrolled into that have the same issue?

What's the JSS host for the current prod JSS?

Treger
Contributor

@bentoms I am actually building a new JSS on a "dustbin" Mac Pro as we speak. I will be testing that theory with the new server to see if the error is replicated. (Mac Pro Late 2013 3.7 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon E5 16GB RAM)

Current prod JSS is Mac Pro 5,1 2 x 2.4 GHz Intel Xeon with 24GB RAM. (jamf ver 8.1)

bentoms

@Treger cool. It's an uncommon error, so wondering if it's something from the old setup.

Treger
Contributor

@bentoms I am not sure, malloc error is usually to do with memory allocation but Tomcat and the server do not seem to be under any duress...

Treger
Contributor

I should also mention maybe, that the current prod server is running a SSD and not a spinning drive for the OS. The CasperShare is on a separate spinning disc....

bentoms

@Treger FWIW our Prod JSS is running off of 2 MacPro's in a cluster.. each with a 1TB SSD & 64GB RAM.

I'm not seeing this error.

Johnny_Kim
Contributor II

Maybe this may help...
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20970417/mach-vm-map-failed-error-code-3