What simple thing am I missing here? (splash screen while files are in copy phase)

SeanA
Contributor III

I know I am missing something simple here, but what is it?

I have a 1GB mpkg that I need to deploy through policy. I have user interaction enabled, with option to defer (I know that if I disable the option to defer, that would be one solution to my question, so let's assume its a requirement).

I created the package in Packages. The policy has the mpkg as its package. The mpkg will copy a few pkgs to the client computer and the mpkg's post-installation script will 1) throw up a cocoaDialog splash screen with progress bar, 2) install the software from the pkgs, 3) and configure the software.

My question: How can I get a splash screen showing on the client computer while the policy's 1GB mpkg is being copied to the computer?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

So, let me just understand. What you want is way to show a cocoaDialog progress bar during the policy run? Right now you have it as a post install script, so that will only run after everything is installed. Seems like a post install script isn't the best place to put your cD interactive elements.

Is it OK to just have the barber pole progress bar for this or is it a requirement to show actual progress? The former shouldn't be too difficult, but the latter won't be as simple. Getting actual progress information from a policy that can be fed back into cocoaDialog to make the progress bar "progress" is not quite as easy.

View solution in original post

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Use a script in the JSS, not in the package, and set it to Before. Call the splash screen (perhaps a running barber pole like @mm2270 suggested) to display during the copy portion. Then modify your post script in the MPKG to kill the cocoaDialog window you had up and start the new one.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

So, let me just understand. What you want is way to show a cocoaDialog progress bar during the policy run? Right now you have it as a post install script, so that will only run after everything is installed. Seems like a post install script isn't the best place to put your cD interactive elements.

Is it OK to just have the barber pole progress bar for this or is it a requirement to show actual progress? The former shouldn't be too difficult, but the latter won't be as simple. Getting actual progress information from a policy that can be fed back into cocoaDialog to make the progress bar "progress" is not quite as easy.

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Use a script in the JSS, not in the package, and set it to Before. Call the splash screen (perhaps a running barber pole like @mm2270 suggested) to display during the copy portion. Then modify your post script in the MPKG to kill the cocoaDialog window you had up and start the new one.

SeanA
Contributor III

Yes, mm2270, you understood me correctly, though a simple barber pole will be sufficient. I appreciate the insight about the challenges of "actual progress" vs simple barber pole progress bar.

Steve: For some reason, I was hung up in thinking I had to place the script in the actual package, not in the policy.

Thank you both for resetting my mind into something halfway productive today! :-)