Where to download just the Safari dmg/pkg

fviola
New Contributor II

The internet traffic between our managed macOS Mojave laptops and the Apple Software Updates website is blocked for security reasons. So I can not use the regular System Preferences - Software Update to update native macOS software.

This is not an issue for me, because every time Apple release a Software Update, I wait a week or so and I visit the following URL https://support.apple.com/downloads and I download the specific package (in .dmg format), I save the .dmg package into a USB Stick and I update the macOS laptops and I am good to go.

Now, the problem is that Apple just released an important security update https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212808 just for Safari 14.1.2.

My question is since that I believe this time it is just Safari the issue, is Apple going to publish just the Safari .dmg package update on the regular https://support.apple.com/downloads website? If not, how can I download just the Safari 14.1.2 in .dmg/.pkg format so I can install into our macOS Mojave laptops?

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@fviola Note that version 14.1.2 is the same version number as the previous Safari release. You'll have to look at CFBundleVersion to see that this is a different build.

You can use SUS Inspector to extract the Safari installer package URLs from Apple's Software Update Servers. Here they are for the 2021-09-13 releases of Safari 14.1.2:

Safari14.1.2CatalinaAuto.pkg 

Safari14.1.2MojaveAuto.pkg 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@fviola Note that version 14.1.2 is the same version number as the previous Safari release. You'll have to look at CFBundleVersion to see that this is a different build.

You can use SUS Inspector to extract the Safari installer package URLs from Apple's Software Update Servers. Here they are for the 2021-09-13 releases of Safari 14.1.2:

Safari14.1.2CatalinaAuto.pkg 

Safari14.1.2MojaveAuto.pkg 

fviola
New Contributor II

@sdagley  thanks a lot..... question can you provide me step by step where did you find/download the Safari14.1.2MojaveAuto.pkg  ???? I can not use the SUS Inspector. Do you know if there is any way to use the command line? I am thinking, using an unmanaged device, to ONLY download the Safari 14.1.2 without installing and copy the package to my USB Stick.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@fviola The link I posted is the download link for the .pkg. Just paste it into the Safari URL field and it will be downloaded 

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

If you were not already aware Apple stopped releasing update deltas with Big Sur. You have to get updates either from a content caching server (which requires a connection to apple.com) or directly from Apple themselves. I work for a bank and its fun keeping our filters away from apple's traffic. Since Mojave is just about dead you probably want to get with security about updating processes really soon.