Where to find cocoadialog ?

glpi-ios
Contributor III

Hi everybody,

I would like to know if it is possible to find the latest available version of Cocoadialog?
If so, please, where will I find it ?
Is it compatible with Mojave (10.14) ?

Finally, do you recommend Pashua or Cocoadialog ?

Thanks for your help and i wish you all a happy new year...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

There is no "current" version of cocoaDialog. The new version is still under very slow development, but there's nothing released yet, and probably won't be for a while.
The last actual working release was the 3.0 beta 7 version from about 5+ years ago now, which the cD developer now refers to as the 2.3 version I think. The new one being worked on is being called "3.0"

You can try using that last beta release, but don't expect it to work very well under current macOS versions. It started having issues with macOS around 10.11/10.12 and hasn't gotten better since then. It still mostly works however, so if you don't mind working around some issues and odd error output because of outdated code, you could still use it for basic dialog messaging. I would probably avoid trying to use it's advanced windowing styles like the progress bar, checkboxes, etc. at this point though.
Unfortunately, I can't really help you with how to find it online, since I think the original download links no longer work. It's not easy to find that version anymore from what I recall.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

There is no "current" version of cocoaDialog. The new version is still under very slow development, but there's nothing released yet, and probably won't be for a while.
The last actual working release was the 3.0 beta 7 version from about 5+ years ago now, which the cD developer now refers to as the 2.3 version I think. The new one being worked on is being called "3.0"

You can try using that last beta release, but don't expect it to work very well under current macOS versions. It started having issues with macOS around 10.11/10.12 and hasn't gotten better since then. It still mostly works however, so if you don't mind working around some issues and odd error output because of outdated code, you could still use it for basic dialog messaging. I would probably avoid trying to use it's advanced windowing styles like the progress bar, checkboxes, etc. at this point though.
Unfortunately, I can't really help you with how to find it online, since I think the original download links no longer work. It's not easy to find that version anymore from what I recall.

glpi-ios
Contributor III

@mm2270 Thank you for your answer. So, I'm going to look to Pashua then.

Thanks again

boberito
Valued Contributor

Pashua is great but a bit of work to get fully working.

Yo is a great tool to check out as well.

And depends what kind of notification you may just want to use osascript or jamfHelper

glpi-ios
Contributor III

In fact, I already use 'Alerter' for Patch Management notifications and for the rest I will try Pashua.

I have already used a little bit 'Pashua' and it seems not too bad.

I just wanted to know about Cocoadialog because I have the impression that it is the reference here for dialog windows, it is quoted everywhere ..

Anyway thank so much to everyone for your help.

boberito
Valued Contributor

Ya it was the easiest...too bad it died basically :(

Kevo99
New Contributor II

I spent so long replacing or out right rewriting scripts to get rid of Cocoa. :(

marklamont
Contributor III

what problems are there with cocoadialog? we use it a lot and haven't noticed anything.

boberito
Valued Contributor

I could be wrong but isn't it 32bit? So it'll die as soon as Apple cuts off 32bit support. Then it's dead. I haven't tried it under 10.14, but there may be some privacy protection alerts or issues. It just basically hasn't been updated in so long is the issue.

xtian
New Contributor III

Found this - https://github.com/sindresorhus/cocoa-dialog and tested working on the current Catalina build

Hope this helps

hepvd
Contributor