Which Cable for Target Mode Imaging on Late 2016 Macbook Pro?

bmccune
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Hello,

This just confused me, so I figured I'll ask you guys/gals! Does anyone know if either of these 2 cables would work for imaging the new Late 2016 Macbook Pro's?

Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Cable (0.5 m)

Belkin USB-C to USB-C Cable (USB 3.1)

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

duffcalifornia
Contributor

Your best current bet is to get the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, then imaging via Thunderbolt 2 on an older Mac.

Even though USB-C and T3 are indistinguishable, connecting a USB-C cable between a 12" MB and a 2016 MBP in target mode results in nothing happening. And the only model Macs that have T3 are the current 2016 MBPs, so unless you've got one yourself running Imaging, a T3 cable isn't going to do you any good either.

edit: although reading that would indicate that if you have a 12" MB, you should be able to do a data transfer using the Belkin cable.

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

http://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/product/HKK12ZM/A/belkin-thunderbolt-3-cable-05-m?fnode=8b&fs=f%3Dbelkin%26fh%3D4595%252B3233

I have used one to build Netboot images, picked it up at my local Apple store : )

C

MacSysAdmin
Contributor

Depending on if your host machine has USB 3 I'd recommend this cable

I've used this cable to Target Disk mount a 2016 13" MacBook Pro to my 2015 MacBook Pro. Works pretty quickly over USB 3.

If you are connecting two 2016 MacBook Pro's either of the cables you mention will work. When buying a USB-C cable you have to make sure that the cable you purchase is not a USB-C CHARGE ONLY cable. I purchased an inexpensive USB-C to USB-A cable and learned the hard way. The 2015 kept reporting that the device was not accepted. As soon as I purchased the cable above issue solved.