Winclone - Error: Target drive is too small for windows image

rob_potvin
Contributor III
Contributor III

The admin staff really want apples here at the school so we are starting to give out iMacs.

I created a master winclone image and uploaded it to Casper Admin. I also followed both KBs and made sure there is a sparse image file located with the winclone folder and the image was not compressed. I made sure permissions are all set.

I made sure that the second partition is at least 200GB and Lion gets installed on the first partition and my winclone image second.

In my logs i get

Installing win7-ent-bisbase.winclone... Error: Target drive is too small for windows image

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

6 REPLIES 6

rlandgraf
Contributor

Did you shrink your windows partition before you made your winclone image? This will allow it to go on a smaller drive.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

I tweeted the developer Tim Perfitt (@tperfitt) to see if he wants to comment...

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com

lisacherie
Contributor II

When this error came up for us, the partition sizes in Casper admin for the configuration actually were a bit too small.

We now create the image on a slightly smaller partition to what it will be restored to and haven't seen the problem since.

Also note the percentage needs to be correct as well, so for us with 50/50 split, we set the percentage in casper admin to 52%.

hope this helps.

rob_potvin
Contributor III
Contributor III

Thanks guys trying all suggestions and will let you know. Cheers

rob_potvin
Contributor III
Contributor III

increased the size of the bootcamp partition and it didn't error out and started the install. Got another error though, when Lion installed it creates a recovery partition after the bootcamp partition so the bootcamp partition is non bootable. I am going to try 10.6 instead but does anyone have an idea how to have lion create the recovery partition as the second partition and then create a bootcamp partition?

My thoughts are:

Image Lion, copy the winclone image to a temp directory, reboot create new bootcamp partition via script and from temp directory clone the winclone image over to new created partition. That way it is the last partition created.

Feedback? Good idea?

rob_potvin
Contributor III
Contributor III

It is the restore partition that breaks the windows boot and install. I just finished the 10.6.8 restore and windows 7 was cloned correctly.

Will come up with some solution and will post it here. Cheers