Windows share to SMB filepath conversion

gquattro
New Contributor III

Hello All,

Our organization is requesting to be able to open Windows network shares from Outlook in SMB friendly format.

For example: When someone receives an email that includes a file path, they cannot right-click and open the destination because it's still in windows format servershare est.

Does anyone know of any easy solutions for converting this path to SMB format? I have tried WinShortCutter but we are looking for a more robust solution than this.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Can you post an example of the links they receive in an email here? Because my experience with this in the past was that the OS actually puts a contextual menu service in place automatically to convert those Windows style paths to macOS friendly ones. It should show up under the "Services" submenu when right/control clicking on the link. At least what I recall was that it wasn't necessary to "convert" them at all. The OS just knew how to handle them and open them up correctly.

Take a look at that when you can. I don't have a valid link I can do any testing with, so I'm limited in what I can see from my end.

gquattro
New Contributor III

@mm2270

For example, they would receive a windows network drive path

Something similar to this:
P: estinfrastructuresoftware

On a Windows machine, you can click the hyperlink and the share will open up, on Mac, it just gives an error stating it cannot reach the destination.

On my Mac, when i right-click the hyperlink and go to Services, I do not have an option for open Windows LInk

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@gquattro P: estinfrastructuresoftware is a Windows local path for whatever is mapped to the drive letter P on the machine it was created on. A Windows network path would be \someservername estinfrastructuresoftware and if you right-click on that and select Open URL from the Services item in the contextual menu it should open it in the Finder.