Wireless Configuration Profiles not installing

Merkley
New Contributor III

I have a test JSS server that was running 9.22 and installing the Wireless configuration profiles so I could start testing my profiles and policies to make sure everything would be working when we upgraded our main server to version 9. Everything was working fine until I upgraded my test JSS server to 9.23 then the wireless configuration profiles would fail saying "Some required information in the profile is missing." I've recreated the JSS certificate, un-enrolled and re-enrolled the computer, tried different fresh installs of the OS, I also downloaded the profile to install it and it still came up with the same error.

This configuration is scoped to all computers. I'm testing a user initiated enrollment, so once the enrollment is finished the computer can then access our wireless. The machines I've tested this on are a MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2013), an iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), and an iMac (Late 2009). The MacBook Air is running 10.8.5 and the iMac 2013 is running 10.9.1 and the iMac 2009 is running 10.8.4. I have other configuration profiles installing that work fine it's just the wireless configuration profiles that is failing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Merkley
New Contributor III

I finally got this working. This morning I created a configuration profile using Mac OS 10.9 profile manager and uploaded it to the JSS. I set the scope to all computers and this profile was installed successfully on all the machines that I was testing it on.

I've tested more computers to make sure it wasn't just a fluke that it was working and every time it would install successfully.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

hcodfrie
Contributor

Hey merkley, we had the same issue upgrading from 9.22 to 9.23 in our production server our workaround and fix was regenerating the tomcat self signed certificate. And restarting the tomcat service.

Hope it works for you also

johnnasset
Contributor

How do you re-generate the tomcat cert? We are finding the same issue in 9.23.

EDIT: Nevermind, I re-generated the cert and restarted tomcat but still have the same issue.

Sean_M_Harper
Contributor

I had this problem, and the fix was... exciting! I simply rebuilt (with the certificate and all) the wireless payload profile IN 9.23 from scratch, rather than using an imported version. After this, the profile worked normally. The issue is that 9.23 broke uploaded profiles, as well as building them wrong (when it comes to multiple and certificate payloads). These changes are listed in the 9.23 change log.

This solved it for me, as well as making sure the APNS connection was still alive.

Hope this helps!

dwsak
New Contributor

Even if you get the profiles to push successfully through APNS, I suggest to run a script with the 'profiles' command to install your wireless profile. I've seen several cases where wireless profiles pushed through APNS magically disappear, leaving MBAs bricked and users looking for the USB dongle to fix them. I still push my cert trust chain and other profiles through APNS, but I use a script for the wireless config.

Sean_M_Harper
Contributor

If you get stuck in a "removing profile -> adding new profile -> old profile not found" loop, simply throw a quick command line enroll against the machine (making sure its already scoped to receive the correct profile) and it should iron that issue out at well. I remember having to perform this operation for a few of my devices that decided they did not want to recycle the profile correctly.

johnnasset
Contributor

Hmm, built a new wireless config profile but still get the same error. As far as the profiles command, do you cache the profile first on the local machine then install with said command?

Sean_M_Harper
Contributor

I do not think you can with a configuration profile. A package works by using the "cache" option under "actions" for a standard file to go to the waitingroom for later install, but it appears that profiles need direct apns/jss interaction at time of install. The profiles command simply appears to force a JSS query of what profiles a machine needs to have (based on scope) and then requests them from the JSS.

Nick_Gooch
Contributor III

Same issue. Re-created the self signed cert. and restarted tomcat. Created a brand new wifi config profile in 9.23 and it still says "Some required information in the profile is missing." The original and a copy of the original say the same thing.

johnnasset
Contributor

So is there a jamf command to grab profiles? I tried the built in profiles command:

sudo profiles -I -F /someprofilepathhere.mobileconfig

and received the same error.

dwsak
New Contributor

johnnasset:

I create a package that stores the profile (.mobileconfig file) in a directory under utilities (maybe not the best spot, but support can find it there if needed), then call the following from a script:

sudo /usr/bin/profiles -I -F /Applications/Utilities/profiles/wireless.mobileconfig

The other reason I do this is that since profiles will not retry if they fail to install, I have a smart group that checks a bunch of other criteria, like is the machine in AD with a proper SPN, is it's hostname correct, has AD replicated to the domain controllers where our MS cert server exists, is the machine connected with a physical copper connection... The policy for the 'install_wireless_profile.sh' script is scoped to this smart group.

johnnasset
Contributor

Same error:

profiles install for file:'/Applications/Utilities/Profiles/HSD2Test.mobileconfig' and user:'(null)' returned -307 (Some required information in the profile is missing.)

Merkley
New Contributor III

I re-created the certificate again and restarted Tomcat and still seeing the same error. I rebuilt my wireless configuration profile, from scratch and still getting the same issue. Even if I try to install manually with the script I get the same issue still.

All the profiles I have in my JSS have been built using the JSS and not with other tools.

johnnasset
Contributor

Looks like we have a defect on our hands. Per Joe at JAMF

We've been doing some testing over here and it looks like you are not the only one who is running into this issue and it is indeed a Defect. The defect has been labeled D-006321 for reference and has been sent to the Development team for review. The workaround we have listed for this at the moment is to deploy the same information through a profile from Profile Manager. We have tested this with being both a signed configuration profile and unsigned and it appears they will both work.

Merkley
New Contributor III

I finally got this working. This morning I created a configuration profile using Mac OS 10.9 profile manager and uploaded it to the JSS. I set the scope to all computers and this profile was installed successfully on all the machines that I was testing it on.

I've tested more computers to make sure it wasn't just a fluke that it was working and every time it would install successfully.

mbracco
Contributor

We see here the same problem. a wifi profile with 57 payloads.
Even installing it via double-click gives me a windows prompting for each payload an enterprise login/password.
What's going wrong here.
We did renew the tomcat certificat and restarted tomcat.
It did not get better.

Nick_Gooch
Contributor III

Just heard back from our rep. and this has been filed as defect D-006321. The work around was to do what Logan suggested. Although it is not a solution for those that don't have any Mac servers.

johnnasset
Contributor

I've confirmed that a profile with wireless payload created in Profile Manager will successfully install on a machine. I built one using 10.8.5 server and uploaded to the JSS.

Sean_M_Harper
Contributor

I can also confirm this using OS X Server Profile Manager (10.8.5) to create the payload.

mbracco
Contributor

Yes indeed, we don't have any profile-manager running anymore as we focused entirely on casper suite.
So now we find ourself in trouble, waiting to enroll a hundred of macbook's.
Is that defect being addressed quickly in any timeframe, or do we have any other workaround to make the profiles work again. It's not so funny to enter 50 complicated passwords again to create a new profile.

cainehorr
Contributor III

Same issue here...

JSS 9.24
OS X Server 10.9.4 / 3.1.2

ATTEMPT #1
Create device profile in JSS
Run sudo jamf policy
wifi.mobileconfig gets installed
WiFi doesn't work - still asks for WEP key
Manually log into JSS
Manually download wifi.mobileconfig . . . . . . . . NOTE: downloaded wifi.mobileconfig is 4kb
Installs on top of self
WiFi magically works

ATTEMPT #2
Create profile in OS X Server 10.9.4 / 3.1.2 Profile Manager . . . . . . . . NOTE: downloaded wifi.mobileconfig is 2kb - same settings as JSS sans the issuing auth
Manually install wifi.mobileconfig and everything works

ATTEMPT #3
Upload wifi.mobileconfig as created in Profile Manager into the JSS
Same problem as Attempt #1

SIDE NOTE:
Using sudo profiles -I -F /path-to/wifi.mobileconfig installs as a User Profile, not as a Device Profile.

Anyone actually get this working (properly)?

Kind regards,

Caine Hörr

A reboot a day keeps the admin away!

GeorgeP
New Contributor

Having the exact same issue. Anyone got a fix for this yet?

Dev_mac
New Contributor

Same here with me re-enroll 3 times my iMac but wifi profile is not getting download even i tried another iMac with complete erase and reinstall but still :( anyone have idea i dont to do manually install.