Wireless not working in yosemite

tdavis23
New Contributor

All,

I have a MacbookPro running Yosemite in an AD/Centrify network which connects fine to wired and guest wireless networks but cannot connect nor discover a corporate wireless network utilizing 802.1x. Any ideas?

TD

9 REPLIES 9

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Is it just this one machine? Do you have others on (or similar to) that model that work?

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

802.1x is a whole can of worms. Has this ever worked before? What kind of auth are you doing? Requiring machine certs or user certs from AD?

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

In agreement with @RobertHammen Yosemite and 802.1X Profiles and Wi-Fi is such a huge mess its not even funny. Apple essentially busted this on 10.10. Thankfully it seems better on 10.11 so far. Hopefully it will stay that way,

Person
New Contributor III

Do you have a configuration profiles with the wireless information? I disabled mine as machines had trouble authenticating with them attached.

tdavis23
New Contributor

@davidacland this is just one machine

tdavis23
New Contributor

@RobertHammen No it has not worked before. This is a new Mac assigned to a new user. The auth is PEAP (MSCHAPv2). I have whitelisted the MAC address in AD.

BLau
New Contributor

@tdavis23,

You should be able to get this working with Centrify GPs - but there are a couple of prerequisites first:

(1) You need to have an existing and working 802.1x Wi-Fi environment with the certificate-based authentication (either user or machine) setup. Generally speaking if you already have Windows systems successfully working in this way, then you should have the pieces to get the Mac bits working as well.

(2) The Mac systems need to be successfully enrolling the user or machine certificates into their respective Keychains, and with the supported cert template properties as well.

(3) The Wi-Fi needs to be detectable to the Mac. i.e. The Mac needs to be able to pick up the SSID of the 802.1x Wi-Fi.

(4) If the settings are being deployed via Centrify, then once the GPs are correctly configured and pushed out - the agent will automatically build the 802.1x profiles for your user or computer and the system will be able to authenticate to the Wi-Fi using the specified certs in the Keychain.

All four components absolutely need to be fulfilled before you see 802.1x goodness happening with your machine.

Kind regards,
Brian

Disclosure: I work in the Support team at Centrify

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

PEAP MSCHAPv2 is username/password based, you just need to also trust the cert chain from the NPS/radius server on the client.

If you want to setup machine auth with client certs, thats EAP-TLS, that may not be enabled/supported on your NPS/radius server.

How are your other devices configured to access this network?

Are you able to connect to the network manually from the Mac?

tdavis23
New Contributor

Thank you all for your responses. This issue has been resolved.