Xcode 4.5.1

nixonc85
New Contributor III

Hi all. Thought I would do a quick knowledge share reg Xcode 4.5(.1) packaging... (apologies if this has already been posted but a quick search didnt show anything).

If you had previously package Xcode 4.3 or later using composer (new and modified snapshot) and are now doing the same for Xcode 4.5 then it looks like Apple have included another package that needs to be installed.

If you include in your post script the following it should remove the prompt to install a Device package when you first fire up Xcode:

installer -pkg /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Resources/Packages/MobileDeviceDevelopment.pkg -tgt /

Note this is in addition to the earlier package of MobileDevice.pkg when can be found in the same location and installed in the same way.

2 REPLIES 2

dlondon
Valued Contributor

Excellent! Just what I've been thinking about :)

I also did

/usr/sbin/installer -dumplog -verbose -pkg "/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Resources/Packages/MobileDeviceDevelopment.pkg" -tgt /

as well as your line (roughly)

/usr/sbin/installer -dumplog -verbose -pkg "/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Resources/Packages/MobileDevice.pkg" -tgt /

However I see that under Xcode > Preferences > Downloads tab

there are several simulators that can be installed. Any idea where the packages are for those?

Regards,

David

dlondon
Valued Contributor

Ok - seems like the simulators live in the following location:

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs

Seems that all that is necessary is for you to copy the iPhoneSimulatorxx.sdk folder from one installation to another. I guess that could be either downloaded already and in that case it would be part of the Xcode.app. Otherwise they could be used in another installer for people who needed it later.

Probably I'd use Composer and put each simulator in a DMG of its own so that I could just add the ones I want after installing Xcode