Xerox drivers broken in 10.15.3?

Dylan_YYC
Contributor III

Hey all! Is anyone else seeing this? We have the global Xerox print driver 5.4.2 installed and all the finishing options no longer work on devices running macOS 10.15.3. Prior to this most recent macOS update they were working fine, now no matter what i choose in the print options (hole punch, staple....) it just prints normally without finishing. Anyone else seeing this?

15 REPLIES 15

rgerman
Contributor

I just realized my macOS Catalina machines are printing to the wrong tray (tray 1) on our Xerox C70 when using auto-select for letter. Problem is (tray 1) is for legal on our machine so jobs are hanging up. Anyone else seen this behavior? It's not occurring on Mojave.

jalbert
Contributor

@rgerman, we too are seeing this and now teachers are back, it is kicking our butts.

rgerman
Contributor

Our copier vendor figured it out and sent me an edited PPD and Xerox installer. Here are the files if you want to try it out.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fs19i1hekr08avj/Mac%20PPDs.zip?dl=0

In a nutshell it looks like the Xerox PPD is wrong....

This was resolved by editing the .ppd files of the models by editing the following line in the printers .ppd and reinstalling using the custom .ppd:

Original PPD Text: *DefaultInputSlot: Tray1

New PPD Text: *DefaultInputSlot: automatic

Dylan_YYC
Contributor III

@rgerman wow, thats kind of crazy. Nice find, ill check it out and see how it goes!

Ive tried to get Xerox involved and its gotten me no where

jalbert
Contributor

@rgerman, we were on the phone with xerox as well and got no where, trying this now.

Dylan_YYC
Contributor III

@jalbert Good news for us! I got the latest driver from Xerox (5.6.0) and it magicly solved my issue! Here is the Xerox link: Link here i picked the c60-70 since thats what we have, but the driver is all the same for all the Xerox products.

jalbert
Contributor

@Dylan_YYC We tried that first and are still having the issues on all of our Altalinks. 8044 / 8055 BW and Color printers models. Which makes up most of the new printers we bought in the last 2 years across 15 sites.

All we got from Xerox after 2 hours on hold was to remove the old drivers by following a 30 step guide then install the new drivers which didn't work. Let them know right away that it didn't work and they haven't been back in touch with us since and with school startup it is hard to dedicate 2 hours on hold before talking to somebody to get to the next step.

I am surprised why there aren't more people with this issue, luckily the other printers we have, like D95s or older 85xx series aren't having this issue.

Dylan_YYC
Contributor III

@jalbert Yeah, that sounds about right. Ive stopped phoning support unless there is a physical problem with the device, i never get anywhere and waste a ton of time.

We also started seething this issue when we went from out 7970 office devices to our C60/C70 devices, the finisher was more or less useless and it was always picking from the wrong tray

jalbert
Contributor

For clarification @rgerman post did resolve bandaid the issue for us. Anybody know where the ppd files are located once they are uploaded to Jamf, I want to edit them instead of having to upload new ppds for all my printers?

jalbert
Contributor

I have updated our PPD files and re-uploaded them to Jamf for the Altalinks, but when the printers are refreshed - on network state change and check in, they don't seem to be getting the updated PPD files, it is like it is cached. If I delete the printer, then refresh, it updates the PPD file. Anybody have a fix, I am thinking that maybe I can unmap the printer before mapping it, essentially have the two selected in my printers like the attached image?
0ea72f3296d14c16abbbb54eec8c5e67

jalbert
Contributor

This appears to work, it is updating the PPD file this way, just had to make sure that I had unmap before map in the policy.

H3144-IT
Contributor II

The latest Generic Xerox Drivers for Mac are v5.6.0 from July 26th 2020...
https://www.support.xerox.com/en-us/product/altalink-c8100-series?platform=macOS10_15

otherwise try to go via AirPrint
https://www.support.xerox.com/en-us/article/en/2120800

jalbert
Contributor

The issue still remains in the 5.6.0 drivers. Talking to Xerox yesterday they are working on updated drivers that resolve this, don't know when those will be out though.

Dylan_YYC
Contributor III

Well and the new 5.6.0 driver worked for some of our issues. The hole punch and stapler works now but its still asking for tray 1 regardless of paper settings on occasion.

fsjjeff
Contributor II

Glad to see I'm not the only one struggling with Xerox - I found the same bandaid fix on their support forums and rolled it into a script - unzips the Xerox PPD, edits the file to change tray1 to automatic, then uses that to install. It's a pain but at least it allows me to get our users working so they don't yell at me. Tried filing bug reports - Xerox seems to be saying it's an Apple issue, and Apple is completely silent as per usual.