Yosemite install policy not booting to OS X Installer

znilsson
Contributor II

This is only applying to a couple Macs so far, this policy has been working for most of the Macs its been run on. My Yosemite policy is scoped to a smart group and set as self service. It only becomes available if the Yosemite installer has been cached on that user's Mac.

So in these couple cases, when the user clicks the Yosemite button in Self Service, it does its thing, and it reboots, but then it goes right back into 10.9.5. It's not booting to the OS X installer to finish the Yosemite install. I experienced this on my Macbook too, and it took 4 more install attempts via self service before it actually booted to the OS X installer and finished the Yosemite install, and now I'm hearing from somebody else who is having that issue. There is no rhyme or reason that I can see.

My Yosemite install policy is set to reboot if installer requires it, and it's also set to boot to OS X Installer, and to install from cached. I know the policy works because it's worked for most of the Macs it's been run on so far. Does anybody have any idea what's going on?

9 REPLIES 9

chad_jannusch
New Contributor II

I'm seeing the same problem when I'm trying to test the upgrade on my VM. Haven't had much chance to dig into it yet but you aren't alone.

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

@znilsson @chad.jannusch][/url was having this issue yesterday. The settings changed that fixed it was in the policy's restart settings I had to change both the no user logged in and user logged in restart settings from "Restart if package requires it" to "Restart immediately" and restart" respectively. After that it started working.

external image link

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

Btw, if the user is logged in, the restart countdown delay won't start until you click OK to the restart popup message.

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

Oh and double extra btw, I could't get ANY of my machines to reboot into either our Mavericks or Yosemite upgrade policies (running 9.6) until I made this change on both policies to the restart options. Once I did that it has worked on every machine and I have been able to test it in my VM setup over 15 times without issue.

znilsson
Contributor II

Thanks, I'll try that.

chad_jannusch
New Contributor II

Thanks @chriscollins those changes seem to work great.

znilsson
Contributor II

New problem: This Macbook has filevault enabled, and every time it reboots via the yosemite install policy, the first thing that happens is the Filevault login options come up and I have to log in as one of the authorized users. As soon as that happens, it forgets what it's doing and boots back into 10.9.5. It's like there is no way to get it to remember to boot to the OS X Installer as long as filevault is turned on. Any ideas?

barnesaw
Contributor III

We use Greg Neagle's createOSXInstallpkg and set the reboot to currently selected start up volume (no bless) and it works.

teknikal35
New Contributor III

You probably need the new Casper 9.81 if the Mac is file vaulted,
Upgrading works fine for me .
yo need two policies, 1 to cache the Yosemite installer , the other policy to deploy the cached install, this should work on 10.6 10.7, 10.8 10.9

Casper 9.73 Supports an option that is not showing on your current version , this is not showing on your restart work flow for File vaulted Macs, As part of the installer cache policy under the restart workflow you need to click the tick box where you see the option below the user logged in action
It will say Perform authenticated restart on computers with FileVault 2 enabled