Adding Microsoft Office 365 apps to Dock

onder
New Contributor

Hi,

I am trying to add Microsoft Offic 365 packages (Word, Excel, powerpoint etc..) to Dock but I got only ? mark. Obviously path is not correct.

I have tried the below paths, none worked. Any help apreciated, please.

/Applications/Microsoft Wod.app

/System/Applications/Microsoft Word.app

file:///Applications/Microsoft  Word.app

file:///Applications/Microsoft%20Word.app

/Applications/Microsoft%20Word.app

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aminer
New Contributor II

We use Jamf School and are able to show Word, Excel and Powerpoint on the dock.  

Screenshot 2022-10-17 132356.jpg

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

YanW
Contributor III

Work for me

Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 12.35.07 PM.png

onder
New Contributor

Unfortunately it doesn't work for Jamf School. I guess you use Jamf Pro.

aminer
New Contributor II

We use Jamf School and are able to show Word, Excel and Powerpoint on the dock.  

Screenshot 2022-10-17 132356.jpg

onder
New Contributor

Is it Office 365 (Click to Run) version. I have tried the same paths as yours one but none worked. I am testing this on M1 chip Macs.

Thanks

aminer
New Contributor II

We do have a Office 365 subscription but we purchase the individual apps (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) through Apple School Manager and push those Mac OS apps to the devices. 

onder
New Contributor
Same for us. But somehow it doesn't work.

aminer
New Contributor II

Wow. That's weird. Do you have a Jamf representative you can contact?

onder
New Contributor

I have contacted and the below path was their recommandation didnt work either. I am wondering if this anything to do with M1 Chip?

/Applications/Microsoft\ Excel.app/ --allhomes

AntD
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

I have also deployed the apps and the dock config as above

Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 17.51.52.png

There's a few things that might help you

1) You can always check the file path to the app is correct by opening a terminal windows and then dragging the app from finder into terminal. This will double check the app truly is where you think it is.

2) You feel like you want to pop in the '\' between the words "Microsoft" & "app name". In the Jamf School interface, you do not need to do this and wont look in the correct file path if you do

3) If you are pushing the app via the App Store you might find it takes a little while before in installs. If you were to log in to the machine before or while it was downloading your dock would show a ? since its not installed and it rightly cannot display the app as the file isn't there. If you notice the app appear in the applications folder while you are logged in, a simple log out / log in will load the correct app into the dock (or kill the dock via terminal) 

jasonin951
New Contributor

Did you ever figure this out?  I have the same issue.

onder
New Contributor

No, I gave up.

AntD
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

It's shouldn't have anything to do with your machines being M1as my test device is also an M1. Im wondering @jasonin951 @onder if you can share a screen shot of your Jamf School dock config page or share your config profile xml maybe?