iPadOS 16 will allow users to see stored wifi passwords

ccarpio
New Contributor II

At our school we follow a "security through obscurity" policy regarding WiFi connections. I know, I know.

The kids never see the actual password, it is just pushed using a profile in Jamf School. 

But in iPadOS 16 the user will be able to see all stored WiFi passwords.

Does anybody know if Jamf will be able to block that feature?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

This sounds more like an Apple Feedback, and a JAMF Success ticket. JAMF will not really talk about their future management capabilities for beta OS's as Apple is changing so much.

If Apple is not making this manageable JAMF cannot manage it.  If Apple is making it manageable I would wager it will take JAMF 3-6 months after iOS/iPadOS 16 hits the streets to be able to use the new management options. Either way, since this is involving the BetaSeed start with Apple. Also the BetaSeed has all of us under NDA so we cannot share a ton even if we knew what Apple was thinking.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

This sounds more like an Apple Feedback, and a JAMF Success ticket. JAMF will not really talk about their future management capabilities for beta OS's as Apple is changing so much.

If Apple is not making this manageable JAMF cannot manage it.  If Apple is making it manageable I would wager it will take JAMF 3-6 months after iOS/iPadOS 16 hits the streets to be able to use the new management options. Either way, since this is involving the BetaSeed start with Apple. Also the BetaSeed has all of us under NDA so we cannot share a ton even if we knew what Apple was thinking.

ccarpio
New Contributor II

Thanks a lot for your answer.

mh-jena
Contributor

Apple need to know this! I have already send my feedback to apple, but in some small random talks, actually its not a thing... So we definitely need more feedback posts.

Moreover the Radius User Account Info is also displayed by this feature. 

It would be great if apple implement a way to decide if a password is readable. (its also related to shared wifi function, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209368 wich keep secure and now be visible.)

jhavens
New Contributor

Does anyone know if this has an update? I'd like to disable this on our iPadOS devices

mh-jena
Contributor

This was addressed in the beta 3 (last developer beta) 

(Beta 3) WiFi passwords can no longer be viewed or copied for SSIDs configured by a profile

jhavens
New Contributor

Thank you so much!