JAMF School - Add inventory for any Apple Pencils connected

Eggsabyte
New Contributor II

Hello,

Here is our issue. We have around 800 Apple pencils deployed with our iPads to students. It would be great to have a log of every SN of every pencil that connects to the iPad. I say this because some pencils have been “stolen” from others and then plugged into other students iPads. We have them all asset tagged but it’s an in uncomfortable customer service experience checking the pencil from another person. If we just had a log of each serial number of when it was connected to the device that would be much easier to find and fix. While you are at it if you wanted to also do that with the Logitech rugged three keyboard so we had inventory of the serial number this breaks that would be awesome too. Thanks for listening

5 REPLIES 5

jwebber
New Contributor II

Yes! I believe Jamf Pro records the Apple Pencil serial number - can we have that ported to Jamf School too please!!

abrunner
New Contributor III

Did you ever figure this out? I am also looking for a way to pull the serial of the Apple Pencil connected to a device so we can keep our inventory updated.

Eggsabyte
New Contributor II

Nope.  We have put a "gocodes" QR code on the pencils and put that serial in the "notes" section of an iPad it's assigned to...but it doesn't help at all in a lost or stolen issue where a student starts to use someone else's pencil.  Without getting an inventory of where the pencil is currently being "synced" to...we are lost in the ocean and I don't see land.

Eggsabyte
New Contributor II

And I don't think we are talking "rocket science" here.  It's just the polling of the device id and putting it in a log file somewhere. 

jwebber
New Contributor II

We use Dymo label tags to put the name of the student on the pencil (sellotape on top to secure it). Rudimentary, works in most cases.

I'm looking through the documentation for JamF Pro - I don't see the ability to list bluetooth devices there. Looking at Apple's MDM documentation, I don't see it there either.

However, it's definitely possible to write it in code, via EAAccessoryManager, so it could be integrated into the Student app to scan it on a daily basis, and populate it into JamF School from there.