Mac Mini Caching on external Volume

JonasITS
New Contributor

Hi,
since our mac mini caching servers are run out of storage we're curious if it's possible to have an external volume for cache storage or other options. We#Ve already tried to use the "Content Caching" payload and entered Data Path "/Volumes/nameofexternaldisk/Cache" which didn't work with the error that the profile wouldn't install because of a wrong Data Path. Does anybody have a suggestion here?

Best Regards
Jonas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JonasITS
New Contributor

Thanks for your suggestions. All of them i've known already.
With extensive testing we've found issues with caching on an external location:
Wenn removing the external drive/connection the caching service will stop and block all traffic.
According to Apple this won't be fixed because external caching is not intended.
As solution they recommend to buy new additional mac mini caching servers.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

antoinemoussy
New Contributor

Hi.
I can read this in Jamf School :

"The value must be, or end with, /Library/Application Support/Apple/AssetCache/Data. A directory (and its intermediates) will be created for the given DataPath if it does not already exist." 

Is it helping you ?

ryan_w
Contributor

It is possible to use an external volume from the GUI, so I would think you can do it with the payload too but I have not tried.

Robins5on
New Contributor II

Select a volume for caching
On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Settings, click General in the sidebar, then click Sharing on the right. ...
Click the Info button next to Content Caching.
Click Options.
Click the Edit button next to Cache Location.
Select a storage volume, then click Move. ...
Click OK, then click Done.

Thanks,

Home Depot MyTHDHR

JonasITS
New Contributor

Thanks for your suggestions. All of them i've known already.
With extensive testing we've found issues with caching on an external location:
Wenn removing the external drive/connection the caching service will stop and block all traffic.
According to Apple this won't be fixed because external caching is not intended.
As solution they recommend to buy new additional mac mini caching servers.