Managed student iPads summer storage

kpiotrow
New Contributor II

We are using Jamf School to manage our student iPads. We currently have a profile in place that forces students to have a passcode. At the end of the school year, we have students turn their iPads for safekeeping. At the start of the next school year, we return the same iPad to the student. The problem we experienced this past year was that some kids forgot their passcodes. Devices were no longer connected to our wifi (their batteries depleted) so we were forced to wipe them manually by connecting them to a computer which took too much time.

What is your practice for storing devices over the summer months? How can I eliminate this problem in the future? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

https://docs.jamf.com/jamf-school/documentation/Quick_Action_Commands_for_Device_Management.html#tas...

Essentially you click on Devices, chose the appropriate filter to get the devices you wish to take action on then select them all and finally under More click Clear passcode.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

We force each student to turn it off when they hand over their iPad, but you could also turn off passcode modification and send a mass clear command 1-2 weeks or more before the end of the school year. Even if it doesn't reach everyone you'll still get the bulk of them taken care of. 

kpiotrow
New Contributor II

Thank you for your reply. Forgive my ignorance, but how do you do a mass clear passcode command within Jamf School?

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

https://docs.jamf.com/jamf-school/documentation/Quick_Action_Commands_for_Device_Management.html#tas...

Essentially you click on Devices, chose the appropriate filter to get the devices you wish to take action on then select them all and finally under More click Clear passcode.

dodskej
New Contributor

If you don't shut off the profile restriction to force the passcode, it will reapply as soon as you click Clear Passcode. If you want to leave it off for the summer, you need to take that restriction out of the profile before clearing the passcode. I typically do this around the last day of school.