Students device stays inactive although it is connected to the internet

Sway
New Contributor III

Hi there,

I recently enrolled more than 100 iPads and one of them stays inactive although it is connected to the internet. Everything else is working fine except commands from Jamf (but in fact that is no surprise). Any ideas to solve this problem without wiping the device?

Best regards!

3 REPLIES 3

Fluffy
Contributor III

There are a couple of things you can try, if you haven't already:

First, go into the Jamf Student/Teacher app. Tap on the gear, then the device under "My Devices". Tap on "Refresh Info" and see if it updates its info.

If that doesn't work, turning the iPad off and on usually resolves the issue if all else fails.

I've been having this trouble with MacBooks more often than iPads, but I don't have a clear idea of why it happens in the first place. I haven't had any that wouldn't reconnect after a restart or two.

ryan_w
Contributor

We have had this happen to some iPads too from time to time.  Make sure the date and time are correct.  Secure communications won't work if they were manually changed or somehow out of sync.  Usually when we see this a student did it messing around with their settings.  Also, I would check if the MDM profile still shows up under Settings > General > VPN & Device Management.  If it is missing you might be able to manually re-enroll it.

user-BFZdNziFBg
New Contributor

Like @Fluffy we too have seen this much more often with computers than iPads, and the surefire fix for either has been to reboot the device. 

As for why it happens I'm not sure either. I was told in the JAMF School Slack channel that it could be a problem with our APNS certificate, but it's set up the same as the other APNS certs for our other MDMs and they don't have this problem (yes more than 1 MDM...long story lol).